TV Dizziness - What's Going On!? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

TV Dizziness - What's Going On!?

Options
2»

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear it isn't improving @OverlyAnxious, have you sought any further professional advice for it?

Hope you're enjoying the new Xbox.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,617 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Don't know where or how to go about getting any further professional input.  Tried all sorts of charities and advocacy's and social worker type places lately but none of them can help someone in my position.  I am having an Autism pre-screening soon.  The results of which might help medical professionals take me more seriously instead of just being branded awkward and difficult.

I can't physically get to an opticians to see if it's eye related, the (ex) dietician reckons it's not her area (despite being so closely linked to the digestive issues) and I suspect the GP will just give me same patronising line about it being anxiety when I get an email sent to him (still waiting on the dietician sending hers first to give him some context).

It has reduced a bit now, after several unpleasant bathroom visits - it's far too much of a coincidence not to be linked.  Still having to limit screen time but can at least look at them tonight unlike last night.

As for the Xbox, even on a good day I can only manage a max of 30 mins on CoD in the morning...same as the old one.  As I put in the other thread, it doesn't appear any different at all on screen to me which is good for this subject at least.  Though with only being able to play one game now, it's hardly value for money lol.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry it's taken me ages to reply @OverlyAnxious apologies again if I have suggested this before, but have you watched any videos on YouTube? There is a setting where you can adjust the speed, I have to adjust it to the slowest speed (especially for film trailers) otherwise I find it very overwhelming, unable to follow the subtitles and not understanding what is happening. 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion Ami.  I rarely watch youtube videos but will keep that in mind.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I really hope this gets resolved for you soon @OverlyAnxious :heart:
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    Me too, but as above I have no idea where to try next and I'm pretty sure it won't just fix itself...  Between this and the digestive issues I'm finding general daily life pretty much unmanageable now.  :(
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    Does anyone know of a screen reader for OpenOffice Writer on a laptop (the free equivalent to Microsoft Word)?  I've been trying to write this letter for the GP but struggling to read it back and am now up to 4 pages!  I don't mind if it reads OOW directly or if I can copy and paste it into a webpage to read but can't seem to find what I'm after on Google.

My vision has been particularly bad this week, I really hope it's caused my the excess heat and will be able to go shopping on Monday but right now just don't know.  I tried to have a shopping delivery on Monday but couldn't trust the chilled/frozen food due to the OCD and the nausea & IBS have been awful this week.  Just seen there's another heatwave on the way for August as well.  :s
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't know a lot about screenreaders to be completely honest @OverlyAnxious. Have you tried the in-built Windows narrator? I don't use OpenOffice Writer, but I just tried it with a Word doc and it worked fine. I did also find a few websites that covert text-to-speech for free, such as this one. Could that work? If not, I'm sure we (or another member) can find a different solution for you.

I'm sorry that it's been particularly bad this week. The weather is a little cooler where I am today, is it cooler where you are? 

Did you manage to get any non-chilled/frozen foods in?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    I don't know a lot about screenreaders to be completely honest @OverlyAnxious. Have you tried the in-built Windows narrator? I don't use OpenOffice Writer, but I just tried it with a Word doc and it worked fine. I did also find a few websites that covert text-to-speech for free, such as this one. Could that work? If not, I'm sure we (or another member) can find a different solution for you.

I'm sorry that it's been particularly bad this week. The weather is a little cooler where I am today, is it cooler where you are? 

Did you manage to get any non-chilled/frozen foods in?
    Yeah, it's the standard Narrator that I couldn't get to work on OpenOffice.  It only reads the window (the saved title) but I can't make it read the text on the document - unless I'm doing something wrong?  The online one you linked works fine though so will use that later today, thanks.

The weather was a bit cooler yesterday but the sun is already out today, my vision wasn't any better yesterday or today though.  I just hope tomorrow and Monday are cool to give me the best chance at shopping on Monday morning.  I did get some cupboard foods in the delivery yes, but it's high calorie & protein stuff that I really need.    
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    Just to update, I used the linked one this afternoon.  :)  Though I did get through the 20 minutes of free 'Premium' voices and then had revert to a standard voice instead...  I'm still not entirely sure what the difference is...it wasn't as if Penelope Keith suddenly turned into Kathy Burke.  :D
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I'm glad the online one worked @OverlyAnxious, and that the standard voice was fine :D 

Were you able to get out to the shop on Monday morning? 

• OverlyAnxious
    Options
    Were you able to get out to the shop on Monday morning? 
    Couldn't do a proper shop on Monday, just managed to grab a few items from the local for tea that night.  Did finally manage to do a bigger shop on Tuesday though so that's one thing out of the way for a few more days!

However, in other news, my 'old' laptop broke yesterday.  I returned the first new one but had bought another one, the same Brand and size etc as the old one.  Managed to get that setup in short bursts yesterday.  But when I tried to use it 'normally' this morning it didn't take long before it caused nausea and then triggered IBS, same as the other new laptop, phone & TV...  Felt so bad that I had to just sit doing nothing for an hour but am now back on the old laptop.  It's still useable for now, just can't be folded at all.  Obviously I can't just can't just keep eeking out a bit more life from every broken appliance I have...but I just don't know how I can 'get used' to any new items.  :( 

My laptop is so old it's now obsolete so I can't buy an identical brand new one either.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I'm glad you were able to get some food in at least @OverlyAnxious

Have you been able to narrow down what might be causing the nausea etc. caused by using a different laptop? Have you tried using any apps that put a filter on the screen to see if that could help, such as ones that remove blue light? It might be worth having a look through the other screen settings in the control panel too, as changing the contrast or brightness might be worth a shot too?

• OverlyAnxious
    Options

Have you been able to narrow down what might be causing the nausea etc. caused by using a different laptop? Have you tried using any apps that put a filter on the screen to see if that could help, such as ones that remove blue light? It might be worth having a look through the other screen settings in the control panel too, as changing the contrast or brightness might be worth a shot too?
    Nope, I wish I could work out what was causing it.  :|   The only real suggestion I've come up with so far is the screen resolution being different as everything is a slightly different size.  But the new laptops don't even have the option of the same resolution as the old one. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    Still haven't come up with any answers for this and my old laptop is really on it's last legs now.  Screen is visually failing, flickering, flashing etc, I suspect it only has a matter of days left.  I need to be able to adapt to a new one asap but have no idea how to do it.  :/
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, I've just had a thought; doesn't happen very often! :)  Even if it was this, I don't know how you would get help with your issues, but please look into this 'just in case' to see what you think. https://irlenuk.com/    & have a look at this blog too: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/79602/the-low-down-on-irlen-lenses?_

• OverlyAnxious
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Hi, I've just had a thought; doesn't happen very often! :)  Even if it was this, I don't know how you would get help with your issues, but please look into this 'just in case' to see what you think. https://irlenuk.com/    & have a look at this blog too: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/79602/the-low-down-on-irlen-lenses?_
    Thanks! :)   I may buy a pair of tinted glasses to see if that helps.  Difficult to know which colour would be best without an eye test but it could still be worth a shot.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Most people found blue the best colour, I heard watching some videos about this. Could you buy some coloured acetate sheets as a rough try, seeing if they help you watch tv? https://www.amazon.co.uk/coloured-acetate-sheets/s?k=coloured+acetate+sheets    In one video they were putting them in front of a tv or computer screen. Or try on the page of a book/magazine to see if any colour seems best; sometimes it's one on top of another.

• OverlyAnxious
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Most people found blue the best colour, I heard watching some videos about this. Could you buy some coloured acetate sheets as a rough try, seeing if they help you watch tv? https://www.amazon.co.uk/coloured-acetate-sheets/s?k=coloured+acetate+sheets    In one video they were putting them in front of a tv or computer screen. Or try on the page of a book/magazine to see if any colour seems best; sometimes it's one on top of another.

I've just ordered a pack of coloured sheets so will see if any of those make a difference.  Blue glasses & overlays were pretty common when I was at school around 2000 but I never tried them myself.

I did find these glasses online for if any of the overlays help.  They do seem a bit expensive for what they are though!  (Not that I can't afford them, I just like value for money.)  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/happyeyehappyeye/m.html?item=273814531021
  • MaisieBoohoo
    MaisieBoohoo Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    Options
    Hi
    just been reading back thru your posts @OverlyAnxious
    i suspect it is not an actual eye problem, as it’s fine with somethings but not with others. Generally if you had visual,problem, it may come and go but not with such certainty when it’s new things, but obviously trip to optician is only way to rule that out.
    good luck in finding a way through this

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.