If my son were to apply for Carers Allowance, would my child element stop for him? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If my son were to apply for Carers Allowance, would my child element stop for him?

Options
jaywat
jaywat Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited May 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I'm in the middle of applying for pip waiting outcome. I'm just wondering my son is 17 and helps me alot he is in part time college so I still get child element for him if he applies for care allowance for me does my child element stop for him thanks you Jaime 
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Given his age if you are receiving child element for him it is because he is classified as a qualifying Young Person. The only thing i can find is that a person cannot be a QYP if they receive UC, JSA or ESA. By implication this means that if they receive CA they could still be a QYP in which case you could still receive the child element. See https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/890310/admf1.pdf paragraphs 1143 and 1144. Note that he is not eligible for CA if his education is for more than 21 hours/week - this would include expected hours of study outside college, not just time actually attending college.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jaywat
    jaywat Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    Fab will have a look I can't find anything on it ..I just wanted to prepare myself thats all thanks so much ...he is fine with the college found that out but struggled with the other thanks your fab will have a read xxx

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.