Would my family member get a Blue Badge? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would my family member get a Blue Badge?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,687 Disability Gamechanger
edited May 2021 in Transport and travel

My question relates to a family member. They have osteoarthritis in the knee very badly. They can’t walk any distance without pain, in fact they are in pain even while not walking or even standing. However, they have great pain management and are able to manage to walk a few hundred yards despite the pain.

To add complication to their problems, when they get in and out of the car they need to be able to open the door wider than normal to get in and out. This necessitates parking at the far end of the car park where it is quiet and you can park without other cars next to you. Ironically this then means that they have to walk further to the shop!

Being able to park in the wide disabled bay would therefore be of benefit for reasons twofold - being closer to the shop, and being able to open the car door.

I’m just wondering if anyone with experience of the system can share any idea as to whether my family member has any chance of being granted a Blue Badge based on the above, or would they be considered “too mobile” based on their being able to walk a few hundred yards?

Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @66Mustang I have no experience of this sorry, but from what I have read/understand every council has it's own rules (broadly speaking) about blue badges.
    Does said relation get PIP mobility? I suspect most areas would want this in place.

Just seen this posted:
    https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/80194/refused-a-blue-badg-because-my-condition-is-treatable#latest
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang you normaly need enhanced mobility side of pip to get a blue badge free you can pay for a blue badge you would have to ask the local council how much the charge would be 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,687 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Thank you @woodbine and @lisathomas50 for the comments, I appreciate it

They don't get any other benefits so won't qualify automatically sadly, but I will see if they will attempt to apply for an assessment.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    They cost 10.00 a year where I live to buy a blue badge  you would have to ask your  council  how much they charge  I get my badge free but pay 5.00 at the council for the photo to go on the badge 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,434 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
      You do not need enhanced mobility to get a badge @lisathomas50 here in England, might be different in Wales, and mine cost £10 for 3 years 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @vikingqueen if you read my previous comment I said to get  a blue badge free you need to be getting enhanced mobility 

I then said in another comment after I checked that you can buy them for 10.00  a year  but would have to check with their local council 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,434 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
       I was only pointing out what you get in England @lisathomas50, because I've noticed that Wales seems to have a lot of different rules, and my mother in law has enhanced mobility but still pays the £10, might have to move to Wales as it seems you get a lot more  :)
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge
    A Blue Badge costs up to £10 in England and £20 in Scotland. It’s free in Wales.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    We get it free if we are on pip enhanced rate  but have to pay if we aren't 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang tas said each council gD 8ts own criteria but most to auto qualify you need enhanced pip for the moving around section eg 12 points 

Even if you get pip there is a charge mine is £10 and badge lasts 3 years 

Some councils will still issue a badge without getting pip by assessing the claimant 

I would contact their local council see what they say 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    I am surprised that in England you have to pay for a blue badge even if your on pip I also get free tax for my car  as I don't have a mobility car  so realy it doesn't matter wether  you get pip or not yo still have to pay 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You do get free car tax if you get pip enhanced mobility in the UK buf yes blue badge still has to be paid for 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    You do get free car tax if you get pip enhanced mobility in the UK buf yes blue badge still has to be paid for 
    It depends where you live. It is the local authority that determines the Blue Badge fee - but the fee cannot exceed £10.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    I have always had a free badge  when I lived in England I used to get the orange badge free then I moved to Wales and I had the blue badge free didnt realise you didn't get a blue badge  free in England  I knew in wales you could buy a blue badge if you weren't on pip  
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Options
    @66Mustang - I have some of the same issues you mention in your post as I can’t manoeuvre myself out of the car out of a small car space without locking my hip and although  I can walk with a crutch with lots of pain tablets the issue is if I take the tablets I can’t drive as I am too drugged up to drive. 

I had resisted applying for a blue badge as I thought I would never qualify as I don’t get any passporting benefits and I can walk but I applied on Friday and got a decision today with no need for medical evidence or an assessment so it is worth applying.

I appreciate I may have been very lucky with my local authority or because I said I had mild CP and did not mention the hip dysplasia or osteoarthritis as I think they say arthritis is a treatable condition as it may not last more than three years - which is one of the qualifying criteria.

When I applied for Vat relief they said the same - osteoarthritis doesn’t qualify as doesn’t count as a long term condition but it is if you cannot have a joint replacement.

Hope my positive experience encourages your family member to apply as for me it means I can maintain independence and not rely on lifts.

Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.