Refused a blue badge because my condition is treatable — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refused a blue badge because my condition is treatable

Options
erictheviking
erictheviking Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited June 2021 in Transport and travel
Hi, I have ostio-arthritis in both knees. I am not in reciept of any of the passport benefits. I have a had one knee replacement which didn't go to plan and has left me in even more difficulty walking. The surgeon has said that I can have a further operation, but obviously there are no guarantees that the out come will be any better. I suffer from anxiety and dep[ression and had a very poor mental health reaction afetr the first operation. I'm just not sure I am willing or able go through further surgery and will probably just plod on as I am.
My local authority have refused based upon my conditin apparently being treatable even though i cannot walk hardly any distamnce without extreme discomfort and very slowly at that.

Any help is much appreciated, it just seems so unfair.

Eric
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @erictheviking :)

I'm sorry that you got denied a Blue Badge. I have a couple of questions, if that's okay:

When were you denied the Blue Badge?

Have you appealed the decision? Here's a page on the Citizens Advice website about this.

Did you include evidence of your limited mobility the first time around?
    You should describe your condition in as much detail as you can. Your walking problem has to be caused by a severe and permanent disability.

Try to estimate how far you can walk without help. If you’re not sure, think about how many parked buses you could walk past before you'd start to feel pain or need a rest. One bus is about 11 metres long - so if you can only walk past half a bus, you can only walk about 5 metres. Write this on your form.

If you can’t work out the distance, write down how many steps you can take without help instead.

Tell your council how long it takes you to walk this distance, and how you walk - for example if you need to take small steps or shuffle.

Describe how walking makes you feel, for example if it causes you severe pain or makes you breathless, so that you have to sit down and rest.

(Citizens Advice)

Did you gather any evidence from a doctor or other medical professional regarding your limited mobility the first time around? Could you get this for an appeal if not?

Have you considered applying for PIP?

On a different note, are you currently receiving any support for your mental health?

Sorry for so many questions! 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • erictheviking
    erictheviking Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thanls Tori, I wasnt entirely accurate... Rather than being refused, I was advised that it was pointless becasue my condition is "treatable" by someone answering the phone in the blue badge team and that's kind of how the web site application seems to read too. So I have now realised that I must make the formal application and then appeal if necessary ... sorry, I'm a bit fragile and sometimes take "no" for an answer too quickly.
    In regard to the other stuff, yes I'm getting supoort around MH but don't really want to apply for PIP at the moment for rather personal reasons. But thank you for taking the time to consider my post.
  • Jophy65
    Jophy65 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Hi @erictheviking
    I feel you should make a formal application again and then appeal if you need too. I have been  in a similar situation with my son  I've had to appeal against my son's refusal for a blue badge because they said he is young, his broken ankle (double break) would heal and he would suffer no mobility issues later. He had already had three operations that did not make much difference as well as arthritis had set in the foot causing additional issues and pain when walking.
    He won his appeal this time all his relevant medical evidence was looked at . Do not give up keep fighting 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's okay @erictheviking :) I'm not sure what the outcome will be, but it's worth a go I imagine. 

I'm glad you're getting mental health support. And that's understandable regarding the PIP application. If you ever do decide to apply, the community will be here to help where we can. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.