Looking for first home - tips for chair user — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for first home - tips for chair user

Options
UnseenGhost
UnseenGhost Scope Member Posts: 7 Connected
Hi all,

My boyfriend and I will be looking for our first home in the next year and I want to know any tips or tricks, or anything that you didn't realise you should've thought about when looking for a home? We have family support but obviously, as much info a possible from people with similar experiences is great. My bf is a full time chair user, I am an amputee who mostly uses a chair, but has prosthetic limbs. Thank you all so much in advance!

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome from another amputee 

I would suggest flooring is key I have laminate throughout 

Also kitchen cupboard height and worktop and cooker 

Bathroom mine is just normal not wetroon bit I have a bath lift chair 

You need flat access into property and preferably no stairs unless stairs lift can be fitted but then would would need wheelchair at top and bottom to transfer 

Also garden that needs no or little maintenance 

Where you can store outside bins can you access them and get ouf to put them out 

You can refer for care needs assessment where ot will come and assess property and recommend any aids or adaptions 

Are you buying or renting 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.