How do I appeal PIP first-tier tribunal decision? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I appeal PIP first-tier tribunal decision?

Options
naomi05
naomi05 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
edited May 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Not sure if anyone can help. I’m 28 years old and had trouble with my sight from the age of 9. Ive since lost the sight in my left eye an have flare ups in the right. 2 yrs ago I went for a f2f assessment an was told to touch my toes an various things that did not have anything to do with what was put on my form. They refused my claim. Fast forward to July 2020 I decided to go again despite being very disheartened. Again another no. I chose to appeal it this time and won my tribunal but for standard rate which I will be appealing again as I lost my licence due to my condition along with my job as I was driving. Weird I know but I was to scared to tell work I can’t see I've worked since I was 17 and no nothing about the benefits system. But back to what I was saying won appeal. But I am yet to receive a letter from DWP. Nothing no communication i have called several times an went through a payability questionnaire which now leads me to think if I had not called them what would have happened. When can I expect payment to begin? Is there something I am meant to do? And how do I appeal with no proof of outcome. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

You should have a letter from tribunal stating decision 

When was the tribunal? 

It takes a while for dwp to 0ay and send award letter put 

If you want to appeal tho it 7s tribunal you are appealing to as they made the decision not dwp it is out 9f their hands 

You need to request a statement 9f reasons from tribunal and find an error in law to be able to appeal 

You need to get some expert advice I think contact welfare rights 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    naomi05 said:... I chose to appeal it this time and won my tribunal but for standard rate which I will be appealing again as I lost my licence due to my condition along with my job as I was driving. 
    Driving is not considered as part of the PIP assessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • naomi05
    Options
    @calcotti it was an example of how bad my eye sight is. 
  • naomi05
    Options
    @janer1967 I don’t understand some of what you have written it seems some of it is abbreviated or their numbers. But my appeal outcome was on the 21st of May. Hearing was on the 20th
  • janer1967
    Options
    @naomi05 I'm sorry I am sight impaired and often type wrong the numbers are meant to be letters eg pay , it , of 

You should have details in your outcome letter about appealing and requesting statement of reasons I think within a month of decision 

But it will be hard for you to find an error in law if you have no knowledge of law hence why I said you need expert advice from welfare rights 

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @naomi05

I hope the information received has helped clarify how to broach the next steps of challenging the first-tier tribunal's decision.  Here is some Scope information on Appeal to the Upper Tribunal, but this shouldn't substitute seeking welfare representation and I'd highly recommend you find an organisation close to you who can do this via the Advice Local website.  

Just to let you know, I've moved your thread to our PIP, DLA and AA category and also amended the title to help others see what it's about.  Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • naomi05
    Options
    Maybe I didn’t make it clear with my back story but ideally I wanted to know after tribunal on average how long does it take before payment starts or it that equally long process
  • janer1967
    Options
    Hi again 

Some people get paid before they get the letter as payment and letter are released at same time 
    If you have had the playability questions it shouldn't take long but like everything with dwp there are backlogs 

They recommend around 6 weeks 
  • naomi05
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.