housing questions (specifically regarding private renting and self employed), — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

housing questions (specifically regarding private renting and self employed),

Options
Stellar
Stellar Community member Posts: 131 Pioneering
Hi,
I posted in another thread and now i've calmed down a bit i'm going to try to seek actual advice on my situation. i'm not sure if this directly falls under accessible housing in the typical sense.

IN short, I am currently in whats considered temporary accommodation after getting full duty from my council. I am autistic with ptsd, adhd etc. I have never dealt with housing myself before and it's a major source of trauma for me, especially since i was forced into fleeing an abusive situation and being homeless (i am safe now). I have no idea what i'm doing and i'm being harrassed by the DWP into seeking work (which is another issue entirely) which makes it hard for me to actually process anything. this is a huge source of anxeity for me.

I've been here ten months and there's no chance of me moving on anytime soon. i'm on the social housing list on the highest possible band for my situation (band 2), but haven't got anywhere with it. i've been waiting over a year.

Firstly, what help exists for somebody to communicate with estate agents? I cannot even consider renting privately unless I can get someone to do all communication with estate agents on my behalf. realistically for anyone to rent asnything they will need to be able to use the phone multiple times in a row and be able to constantly chase up people as well as move quickly. this is impossible for me due to my disability as i struggle to talk on the phone and sometimes am not able to pick up calls. i would often get no replies to emails or inquiries i send. this is before mentioning the other issues i have including the lack of guarantor and other means to meet the outrageously strict requirements many landlords set.

Seconslty, i feel for me to have the best chances of being employed i need to work from home for myself, however the temporary accommodation i'm in specifcially has on the tenancy that i'm not allowed to start a business from here. i have asked to get it changed so i can but i'm told it's not possible. Why might this be the case? When i asked i either never got a straight answer or toldv it was not allowed as per the terms of a mortgage (which is the same narrative used to bar disabled people on social security from renting, so i dont believe it's true). i am anxious doing anything behind their back as i would also need help with self-employment.

I am at a total loss as on what to do now. No, I do not have anyone to help me. and don't tell me to contact shelter as i can't get therough on their chat.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi @Stellar it's perfectly correct to say that it is very difficult to find private landlords who are willing/able to rent to people who's income is from benefits, I can understand why your current tenancy prohibits tennants from running a business from the home, although running a business and working from home can often be two different things, can I suggest you contact shelter for advice if you are able?

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Stellar
    Options
    I literally said in the last sentence of my original post why contacting shelter isn't an option. I did look at their website already, i couldn't find anything specific relating to this.

In the past, they also told me they can't help people find accommodation (which is understandable, they'd bew swamped with requests otherwise).

As for jobs, working from home would be easier, but that would involve working with other people and still dealing with office politics and not being able to fully control my hours (which is something i'd like to avoid).
  • Stellar
    Options
    personally the stress of private renting (largely due to landlords being ableist and refusing to help) is why i need help to do it, i can't fight that needlessly difficult battle again. not just getting a property, but also dealing with any problems that come up.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Stellar

You say you haven't dealt with housing before who has helped you in the past ? Maybe they can help now 

As you are in temp housing it may just be a case if waiting for social housing unfortunately at least you have a roof over your head 

Are there any charities in your area that help your council may have a list 

Have you had any contact with social services or do you have any mental health team support or even your gp may have some ideas 

As for working I would suggest you get signed off by your gp and go through work capability with uc if you look in our benefits section there is advice to help 

You need to sort one thing at a time and you may find you are not fit to work even from home 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Stellar - if you're considering renting privately, & if the landlord is using an estate agent to find a suitable tenant, I can see no reason that email communication only couldn't be used. However, as woodbine says, it's finding that landlord that will consider a tenant whose income is solely benefits.
    About working from home, again as mentioned above, having a business is often different from working from home. The main concern is that this could be a nuisance to your neighbours if, due to your business, you would have a lot people visiting your home. This is unlikely to be the case, so shouldn't be an issue.
    Now, I don't know where you live, but there are advocates who can speak on your behalf. Please see: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/someone-to-speak-up-for-you-advocate/
    One of the ones mentioned there is Voiceability, & I know they have helped one of our members. See:  https://www.voiceability.org/ I'm sorry I don't have personal knowledge of the other options, but perhaps finding an advocate may help you.

• woodbine
    Options
    Stellar said:
    I literally said in the last sentence of my original post why contacting shelter isn't an option. I did look at their website already, i couldn't find anything specific relating to this.

In the past, they also told me they can't help people find accommodation (which is understandable, they'd bew swamped with requests otherwise).

As for jobs, working from home would be easier, but that would involve working with other people and still dealing with office politics and not being able to fully control my hours (which is something i'd like to avoid).
    Sorry i did read your final sentence but they do have an online chat facility which i exactly what I link to.

• Stellar
    Options
    I don't have anyone who can help. even trying to ifnd local organsiations is overwhelming for me. though i'll take a look at those advocacy links. at this point, i'm really needing help to properly think through my options because i'm struggling to make any headway.

I've been under social services before but my needs improved. And even communicating with services like them is a nightmare. last time i had a needs assessment and i struggled to communicate and even then when referrals were done nobody told me, so ironically when people finally did contact me i struggled to engage. my experiences with services since leaving education have been mainly negative so i'm careful who i try to contact.

I will not sign off as unfit for work. Short term maybe while i think things through properly, but not enough to trigger a WCA. I cant put myself through that. I have to get back into work so i can start saving money to leave this country. That is not up for discussion.

Regarding renting privately, i've tried communicating my needs before to people (agents and private). I usually don't get a response at all. An if i do it was often a callback. Even in listings i found they say "call to inquire" which is basically telling disabled people not to bother. It was one reason I gave up looking. hence why i feel i need somebody to do it all on my behalf, and i've never been able to get help for that.
  • woodbine
    Options
    I don't think that saying "call to enquire" is telling all disabled people not to bother.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We are jyst trying to offer you some guidance and options but only you know what you can deal with 

You will need to reach out to someone to get any help even if by email only 

Being signed off for work again was a suggestion as with all you have explained I can't see you are in a place to even consider working

Personally I won't add any more comments as you seem to be upset with anything that has been suggested 

I wish you luck to get it sorted 
  • Stellar
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I don't think that saying "call to enquire" is telling all disabled people not to bother.
    it's a form of ableism as it's implying they won't deal with anyone communcating otherwise even if they need it. I've sent messages to people and agents with that on their listing and they ignored it.

btw, i'm sorry to anyone reading this thread if i came across as rude, dismissive or aggressive. writing this thread and some of the well meaning responses I got triggered my cptsd (as i've had services refuse to help me using some of the reasons provided, like stating i have to sort one at a time). I am feeling a bit better now.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @Stellar

Thank you for your message and it's good to know you're feeling a bit better now.  I understand your difficulties with communication; some of our other members also experience the same challenges with speaking on the telephone and offering alternate, reliable ways of contact would hugely accommodate such impairments.  

The idea of liaising with an advocate is a brilliant idea, so please do follow that up if you can.  Whilst, you can also find free housing help local to you via the Advice Local website.  If you enter your postcode and select the relevant option from the drop down box, then you will be taken to a list of independent organisations at the bottom of the next screen.  Hopefully, these should include email contact details.  

I realise on another thread you mentioned not wanting to access work schemes designed to get disabled people back into the workplace.  I'm not disregarding this, however just to make you aware Scope's Support to Work team are a great bunch who you could perhaps speak to via email to get advice regards your current employment situation - maybe give that some thought?  

Wishing you all the best and please keep us posted with how you get on.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.