Hi, I'm sophiesoph! I'm studying social model of disability in the workplace. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm sophiesoph! I'm studying social model of disability in the workplace.

sophiesoph
sophiesoph Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I hope this is allowed I'm currently doing my nvq level 5 and I have to write about the social models of disability and how they structure organisations I was wondering if you have any feedback I could use please :) if this is not allowed please tell me and I will delete it 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sophiesoph and a warm welcome to our online community.  How are you today?

I've moved your thread to our 'News and opportunities' category as this is the home of all our research type requests.  Am I right in thinking any feedback you receive will be anonymised or used to guide the direction of your essay?  If you will be directly citing comments and storing members details, please email the team at community@scope.org.uk so we can run through a few things with you and verify the opportunity is safe for our members to participate in.

Also - when you say how they structure organisations, what do you mean?  The social model of disability is a way of describing how people are disabled.  It differs from the traditional 'medical model of disability' by centring external factors, and not the impaired body, as the cause of disability.   So, applied to a workplace this would mean that a person's visual impairment wouldn't be the reason for not being able to carry out a task - i.e. working with computers - but rather disability would emanate from a lack of assistive technology to accommodate their impairment.  Here's more about the social model on Scope's website.  

I hope that helps and good luck with your NVQ  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • sophiesoph
    sophiesoph Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi cher no I just need to gather information so no names are mentioned I gather then add to essay the questions are :
    Analyse how different theoretical models of disability shape organisational structures and outcomes

Analyse how agreed ways of working can promote particular models of disability

I would just like to go as in depth as possible with these answers.

Thank you for your help and also advice 

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    @sophiesoph Ah, I see.  That is a huge question with so many aspects to consider.  I'd probably start off with a mind-map and look at how a hypothetical employee would negotiate working for that organisation from recruitment (accessibility of adverts and interview processes - do they presume able bodied candidates?) to working arrangements and policy (Flexible working?  Reasonable adjustments?  Inclusivity of sick policies?).  Then there's attitudes and the workplace ethos to consider, is it ultra competitive?  Is the onus on the employee to be 'resilient' and overcome barriers themselves?  You could tie in how dominant economic/political forces such as capitalism and neoliberalism have impacted and promoted individualistic (medical model) ways of working.  

Anyhow, I'll leave that with you  :D  Also, I'm not sure if you are aware but the University of Leeds have a free to access 'disability archive' storing many journal articles produced by eminent disability theorists.  I'd recommend starting by looking at the work of Colin Barnes around work and disability.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.