Is nerve and muscle damage classed as a disability? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is nerve and muscle damage classed as a disability?

Options
Simas
Simas Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi my nerve and muscle wery damage I can't get answer.  It's disability or no . I lost 4 jobs for one month.  Because I cannot normally woking every time I fell pain 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

Being classed as disabled isn't about a certain condition 

A disability is any physical or mental condition that has significant impact on your daily life and is likely to last 12 months or more 

This is defined in the equality act 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Simas and welcome to our online community,

I hope @janer1967 's response has helped clarify whether your impairments are classed as a disability.  The Government's webpage outlining the definition of disability under the Equality Act (2010) states:
    You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

What ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ mean

‘substantial’ is more than minor or trivial, eg it takes much longer than it usually would to complete a daily task like getting dressed
    ‘long-term’ means 12 months or more, eg a breathing condition that develops as a result of a lung infection
    Are you unemployed now?  How have you managed financially whilst being out of work?  You can try Scope's benefits calculator to check you're claiming all benefits you're entitled to, if you haven't already.

Just to let you know, I've moved your thread to our Physical impairments and mobility issues category and tweaked the title to help others see what it's about.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.