How can disabled people achieve home ownership? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can disabled people achieve home ownership?

Options
Jodie01
Jodie01 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I've been unable to work or complete education full time since becoming unwell when I was about 9 years old.
I'm trying really hard to save and have enough income to be able to own a home or achieve a mortgage, or even to spend on things I need like a newer car.
Benefits penalise you for having any savings, is there any help I can get to supplement my income but also allow me to save?
I understand that people always say things like "well the governments not going to pay for you to own your own home" but I find it very heartbreaking to think the only reason I cant own a house is due to me having a disability.

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,655 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Jodie01 said:
    I understand that people always say things like "well the governments not going to pay for you to own your own home" but I find it very heartbreaking to think the only reason I cant own a house is due to me having a disability.
    The daft thing there is that they'll pay much more in rent over your lifetime than a mortgage on an equivalent property would have been!

I don't think there is any way to own a home on benefits though.  Unless you inherit one of course.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Jodie01 :) Thanks for joining.

I've moved your post into our housing category- I hope that's okay!

You might like to read this article from the Money Advice Service on getting a mortgage if you're ill or disabled. You're not the only person we've had wondering about the possibility of buying a house whilst in receipt of benefits, so you're definitely not alone in feeling this way. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

It's like catch 22 I'm afraid ic you save for house purchase your benefits will stop when you hit threshold and also the difficulty of getting a mortgage 

Don't know the solution I'm afraid 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.