Left work due to depression, anxiety — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Left work due to depression, anxiety

Options
martyd85
martyd85 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
Hi all new here just wondering will I be entitled to any benifits I left work 2 weeks ago and have a wife and 2 children and 1 on the way, I don’t know what I’m gonna do now I’m with the crisis team and tried to commit suicide last week and have been so down can’t concentrate on anything and just wanna be alone

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there Welcome to the community Sorry to hear your situation  

If you left work on medical grounds then you could be entitled to benefits 

You could be entitled to new style esa if you have paid enough ni contributions and are signed off with fit note 

Or maybe uc 

I suggest you do a benefits calculator so all your details can be entered there is one in our benefits section  

Or contact welfare rights 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @martyd85 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry to read about your situation too, & will ask a member of the Scope team for their help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Also be aware a claim for uc will stop any tax credits you get now and you will be expected to look for work unless you go through work capability assessment and found not fit for work 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @martyd85 Hello and welcome to our online community.  How are you doing today?

I'm really sorry to hear you're going through such a challenging time.  It sounds like you have a lot going on and I'm glad you have the support of a crisis team to help.  Do you feel like you have sufficient support for dealing with your suicidal thoughts?  Please make sure to keep updating the team, or your GP, with how you're feeling - you don't have to go through this alone and they are best placed to guide you through treatment options.  

Remember, if ever you feel that you might act on your thoughts, to contact 999 and ask for an ambulance immediately.  The priority is to keep you safe and well, and it sounds like you have a beautiful little (and expanding!) family who love you very much.  Also, if you need someone to talk to about your feelings anytime of the day, you can contact the following organisations
    In addition to these, Rethink's 'How to cope with suicidal thoughts' webpage is a great resource to read if you have time.

I hope @janer1967's suggestions around benefit entitlement gave you an idea of the options open to you in that regard.  Here's a link to Scope's Benefits calculator and it's definitely worth seeking professional welfare advice local to you, which you can find free via the Advice Local website.  I wonder if it might also be worth double-checking your wife is receiving all benefits she is entitled to too.  

I'm going to email you to look at any other support we can help with, so please keep an eye out for that.  In the mean-time, take care and we are here if ever you need to ask more questions, talk or vent.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.