Turned down for PIP. I don't know how many points I've scored yet, but is it worth going for an MR? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Turned down for PIP. I don't know how many points I've scored yet, but is it worth going for an MR?

Options
Leigh14
Leigh14 Community member Posts: 573 Pioneering
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Yesterday I called PIP to ask if a decision had been made. I was told a letter has been sent out, and unfortunately I’ve been turned down. I don’t know at this stage what or even if I’ve been given any points, but if 0 points, is it worth going for M R?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Leigh14 said:..is it worth going for M R?
    If you believe you are entitled based on the descriptors then definitely. If the MR is unsuccessful then go to appeal.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • saversam
    saversam Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Options
    Oh no. I,m so sorry . Yes I think it,s definitely worth doing a MR, regardless of how many points you were awarded or not. You,ve come this far don't give up now x
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Leigh14

I’ll give you my story and I’ll explain why it’s important to appeal. In July last year I received a letter asking me to apply for PIP (I received DLA), In August these forms was returned along with a few of my most up to date records. My assessment was in November and I had to wait a long time for my report to be sent back to the DWP so I could request it, 1 month to be precise but as I was still receiving my old benefit I didn’t think much about it. January came around and I received the brown envelope 0 points, I had no clue how they could of come to this judgment when I had a lifetime award of DLA. I was in the same boat as you but I eventually decided to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration, I gave everything I had in evidence because I received a letter in October 2020 saying that everything from my old claim was destroyed. April a new decision came along saying I still get 0 points and that was the end game for me. Never in my life was I treat with the most disrespect from the DWP.

After reading many posts on this site I decided to submit an appeal, not 3 weeks later the DWP called me to immediately reverse their decision and award me Enhanced DL and Standard Mobility, the same rate I was on before. Now even if you don’t feel okay before you go to tribunal I feel it’s worth a shot to see if they can change their minds beforehand. And if that fails then ask for a paper-based hearing (but ONLY if you can’t cope with speaking to a judge as success is lower than oral). These things are a horrible thing to do but imagine your reaction if they decided to award you before/in court.

Now these things need to be looked at properly and you might not get to this step if you win the MR but I feel if more people appeal, the less likely they’ll completely ignore evidence in further awards.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear this I would wait till you get the letter and then decide but if you feel it is the wrong decision then yes put in mr maybe get some help to do it 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,105 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so sorry to read this @Leigh14 - only you can decide whether to go for a MR, but, as Jane says, wait for your decision letter & see how you feel.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for your replies. When I did the assessment, I honestly felt I’d covered everything, but I obviously hadn’t. Feel a bit deflated now I guess, as I was hopeful. Oh well.
    Once I receive the letter, if I do go for M R, then I shall definitely ask for help, as I think it may give me a better chance.
    @bg844, reading your post has given me a bit more hope, so I appreciate that, thankyou. So pleased for you that they eventually reached the right decision.

• Leigh14
    Options
    If I do the M R, does this entail another assessment?
  • bg844
    Options
    No, you will not need a new assessment, the decision is based on how you was at the original decision (aka assessment). All that happens is that another Case Manager will review your notes and revise their decision based on that.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    bg844 said:
    No, you will not need a new assessment, the decision is based on how you was at the original decision (aka assessment). All that happens is that another Case Manager will review your notes and revise their decision based on that.
    Ok. Thanks for that.
  • janer1967
    Options
    The new dm will look at all the evidence again and also your Mr and any new evidence 

Make sure you submit a good Mr detailing descriptors you think you should score on giving 2 real examples of what happens when you try and do the task 
  • Leigh14
    Options
    The decision letter arrived!
    It states that I can stand and move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres.
    I had reported that I can walk for 2 mins before taking a rest, so it’s reasonable to suggest I could walk 50 metres to 200 metres safely and reliably for majority of time. I did say I can walk 50m which takes 2 mins, I then rest, take inhaler, and for the next 50m, it takes me longer due to increased breathlessness. I go to the corner shop which is about 100m, once or twice a fortnight. 
    I didn’t appear breathless during the assessment. I was sat on bed, so not exerting myself. 
    I didn’t appear anxious or withdrawn. Said I can engage with other people unaided. The only place I go is to the corner shop, so from that, I gather that’s why it says I can engage with other people. Other than that, I’ve seen a friend once or twice since 2020. Last time I went to a social gathering was 2 years ago, and I was extremely anxious. I felt distressed that friends were seeing me this way, a shell of a person that they once knew.
    I can plan and follow the route of a journey. I stated that the only place I go is the corner shop. Planning a journey would mean me going in a cab (door to door) The only thing I would need to know is if there is a lift, as I couldn’t physically walk up flights of stairs. I haven’t planned and followed a journey in at least 3 years.
    I had good insight into my conditions. Why wouldn’t I have?
    I reported no recent changes to mental health medication.
    I scored 4 points for the 50 - 200m 

In everyone’s honest opinion (including mikehughes if possible) is it worth going through with a M R? I do take your advice onboard.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear this Leigh as already suggested get help if you can with the MR and tell them where you didn't score points but thought you should have and why, giving a couple of real life examples of when you tried and how you failed.
    Good luck.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    Options
    As you have no award you have nothing to lose doing mr 
  • Leigh14
    Options
  • Popdiva43
    Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Options
    Leigh14,im sorry to hear this but myself i got zero points,did the MR no joy,so now taking pip to tribunal.

• Leigh14
    Options
    Leigh14 said:
    The decision letter arrived!
    It states that I can stand and move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres.
    I had reported that I can walk for 2 mins before taking a rest, so it’s reasonable to suggest I could walk 50 metres to 200 metres safely and reliably for majority of time. I did say I can walk 50m which takes 2 mins, I then rest, take inhaler, and for the next 50m, it takes me longer due to increased breathlessness. I go to the corner shop which is about 100m, once or twice a fortnight. 
    I didn’t appear breathless during the assessment. I was sat on bed, so not exerting myself. 
    I didn’t appear anxious or withdrawn. Said I can engage with other people unaided. The only place I go is to the corner shop, so from that, I gather that’s why it says I can engage with other people. Other than that, I’ve seen a friend once or twice since 2020. Last time I went to a social gathering was 2 years ago, and I was extremely anxious. I felt distressed that friends were seeing me this way, a shell of a person that they once knew.
    I can plan and follow the route of a journey. I stated that the only place I go is the corner shop. Planning a journey would mean me going in a cab (door to door) The only thing I would need to know is if there is a lift, as I couldn’t physically walk up flights of stairs. I haven’t planned and followed a journey in at least 3 years.
    I had good insight into my conditions. Why wouldn’t I have?
    I reported no recent changes to mental health medication.
    I scored 4 points for the 50 - 200m 

In everyone’s honest opinion (including mikehughes if possible) is it worth going through with a M R? I do take your advice onboard.
    Essentially you have the wrong focus. Forget about the HCP report and play devils advocate with your own evidence.
    Thankyou for this. I will most certainly give it my best shot. Think I’m going for help with it though, as I’ll probably stand more of a chance.
    Thanks again.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Popdiva43 said:
    Leigh14,im sorry to hear this but myself i got zero points,did the MR no joy,so now taking pip to tribunal.

I’m sorry that you got zero points, also that you didn’t have any luck with the MR. It’s all so stressful isn’t it? Good luck with the tribunal.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    The letter I received today is dated 26th May, doesn’t give a lot of time does it, if I’ve got to do MR within one month of the date!!
  • bg844
    Options
    Yes 1 month from the 26th May. Remember to call and register it and ask for an extension whilst on the phone, they usually grant another month but with Covid I’m being told it’s 3 months.
  • anxiousbird
    anxiousbird Community member Posts: 165 Pioneering
    Options
    Leigh14 said:
    The letter I received today is dated 26th May, doesn’t give a lot of time does it, if I’ve got to do MR within one month of the date!!
    Hi Leigh,
    when I did my MR (end of March/early April), I called DWP to register an MR and to put a note on it saying that further evidence is on its way and I requested that a DM doesn’t make a decision on my MR until they’ve received further evidence from myself. I called quite a few times after that to reiterate and asked whoever attended the call to confirm that it had in fact been noted. 

Also, I had my PIP assessment earlier this year (feb) and I received zero points throughout (claiming mainly for mental health reasons), did an MR, wrote a detailed MR letter and referenced my evidence in it for each point i was making. Fortunately I went from zero to 8 points on daily living. I am currently in the process of appealing against not awarding me any points for mobility, which I believe I should be awarded. So don’t lose hope :) 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.