Turned down for PIP. I don't know how many points I've scored yet, but is it worth going for an MR? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Turned down for PIP. I don't know how many points I've scored yet, but is it worth going for an MR?

Options
2»

Comments

• Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    Options
    bg844 said:
    Yes 1 month from the 26th May. Remember to call and register it and ask for an extension whilst on the phone, they usually grant another month but with Covid I’m being told it’s 3 months.
    Ok, so tomorrow I just ring them to register that I want to do a MR? Do they then send out forms to write on? Sorry for endless questions.
    I shall definitely as for extension. Thanks.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Once you call and register the Mandatory Reconsideration you won’t get any extra forms, if you decide to give them information on the phone make sure you follow it all up in writing. Send it recorded delivery too. Good Luck and keep us all updated.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You don't have to call them and sometimes they put that forward as the mr 

They won't send any firms bit there is one on gov website maybe one on here too 

It is good idea to request extension though 
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Leigh14 said:
    The letter I received today is dated 26th May, doesn’t give a lot of time does it, if I’ve got to do MR within one month of the date!!
    Hi Leigh,
    when I did my MR (end of March/early April), I called DWP to register an MR and to put a note on it saying that further evidence is on its way and I requested that a DM doesn’t make a decision on my MR until they’ve received further evidence from myself. I called quite a few times after that to reiterate and asked whoever attended the call to confirm that it had in fact been noted. 

Also, I had my PIP assessment earlier this year (feb) and I received zero points throughout (claiming mainly for mental health reasons), did an MR, wrote a detailed MR letter and referenced my evidence in it for each point i was making. Fortunately I went from zero to 8 points on daily living. I am currently in the process of appealing against not awarding me any points for mobility, which I believe I should be awarded. So don’t lose hope :) 
    It’s always good to read about others experiences, and does give hope, so Thankyou for that. Great that you eventually got 8 points. Good luck with the appeal for disability.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    I got 0 points at my last review. 0 at MR. 19 points (Standard on both) at tribunal. 
  • Harrington
    Harrington Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Options
    @Leigh14 Sorry to hear this, but its worth doing MR as last time before now i went from 0 to 8 points on both care and mobility and am now going through the process again and am awaiting results. with MR we get the chance to go into further detail to get our point across as i felt rushed on the phone by the assessor who by the way wrote all opposite of what i told him but that's what many say happens, so i would do the MR if you don't you will always wonder what the out come would have been.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Thankyou for your reply @Waylay. That’s great news that the tribunal awarded you.

@Harrington, the positive stories are really encouraging to read. I will be doing a MR, as I don’t have anything to lose. That is definitely what I need, the chance to go into further detail. 
  • Leigh14
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    You don't have to call them and sometimes they put that forward as the mr 

They won't send any firms bit there is one on gov website maybe one on here too 

It is good idea to request extension though 
    Sorry, I’m not quite understanding. If I don’t ring them to say I’m requesting a MR, how would they know I wish to do one, plus I’d need the extension.
    I shall have a look for that form too.
  • saversam
    saversam Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Options
    Morning,  could you try making an appointment at CAB, or go on www.advicelocal.co.uk, to get some help?
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Call them and say ‘I’d like to register with you that I’ll be submitting a Mandatory Reconsideration and would it be possible for an extension to this too so I can get all my documents to you:’ As for the forms, there isn’t really one specifically for MR, go on to Benefits & Work and see if you can see anything on that. They had a fantastic guide which helped me out a lot.
    Good Luck.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    saversam said:
    Morning,  could you try making an appointment at CAB, or go on www.advicelocal.co.uk, to get some help?
    Morning. I found the details for advice local last night. I shall ring them as soon as they open this morning at 9.30. Thankyou.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    bg844 said:
    Call them and say ‘I’d like to register with you that I’ll be submitting a Mandatory Reconsideration and would it be possible for an extension to this too so I can get all my documents to you:’ As for the forms, there isn’t really one specifically for MR, go on to Benefits & Work and see if you can see anything on that. They had a fantastic guide which helped me out a lot.
    Good Luck.
    There is a form you can use, you can find it here - 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/challenge-a-decision-made-by-the-department-for-work-and-pensions-dwp
  • Leigh14
    Options
    bg844 said:
    Good Luck.
    Thanks for this. I don’t have any documents or other evidence to send, so it’s just me giving my previous details on original PIP form a thorough, more in-depth, going over. Hopefully this will be sufficient for them.
    I shall call at 9 AM this morning, then it’s back to the drawing board for me!!
  • Leigh14
    Options
    MarkN88 said:
    bg844 said:
    Good Luck.
    There is a form you can use, you can find it here - 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/challenge-a-decision-made-by-the-department-for-work-and-pensions-dwp
    Thanks Mark. Everyone has been so helpful.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Leigh14 said:.. I’m not quite understanding. If I don’t ring them to say I’m requesting a MR, how would they know I wish to do one, ..
    If you wrote to them.

I don’t think you will get an extension to the time limit for MR. Return of PIP2 has been extended from one month to three months and I think this has been confused with MR.

However the reference to a one month time limit is misleading. This is the expected time within which to do an MR and if later than this DWP can refuse to accept it but the actual time limit beyond which MR cannot be accepted is 13 months. DWP ask for a good reason for lateness, in practice any reasonable explanation is likely to suffice.

If DWP do refuse to accept an MR because it is more than one month after decision date then you still have the right to appeal to a tribunal.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Leigh14 said:.. I’m not quite understanding. If I don’t ring them to say I’m requesting a MR, how would they know I wish to do one, ..
    If you wrote to them.

I don’t think you will get an extension to the time limit for MR. Return of PIP2 has been extended from one month to three months and I think this has been confused with MR.

However the reference to a one month time limit is misleading. This is the expected time within which to do an MR and if later than this DWP can refuse to accept it but the actual time limit beyond which MR cannot be accepted is 13 months. DWP ask for a good reason for lateness, in practice any reasonable explanation is likely to suffice.

If DWP do refuse to accept an MR because it is more than one month after decision date then you still have the right to appeal to a tribunal.
    Thanks for this. Has cleared things up for me.?
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    calcotti said:

(Sorry, Mark - only spotted that you had already posted link to form after I posted!)

Not to worry at all. 
  • Leigh14
    Options
    I’ve contacted Welfare Rights, but the person I need to speak to isn’t at work until Tuesday. They said I will get a call then. Printed off the form, so for now I’m good to go.
    If it’s face to face, do they complete form for you?
    If it’s a phone call, which I’d prefer to be honest, once they get details from me, will they then put it into their own words?
    Not sure how this works at all.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Varies from organisation to organisation. No point in worrying about it. Main thing is that it's going to happen. 
    You’re right Mike. Just like lots of things in life, totally pointless worrying. I’m just content knowing I’ll be receiving support with it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.