Help, I am 24 and I'm basically handicapped from pain. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help, I am 24 and I'm basically handicapped from pain.

Options
madrigaldeflor
madrigaldeflor Community member Posts: 1 Listener
So my issue is with my feet. I've had burning feet since I was at least 15 years old. This occurs in the arch of BOTH feet when I stand or walk for more than 30 minutes. If I'm standing in a line or go hiking I start getting horrible burning pain. It doesn't go away until I sit down. Even when I sit my feet are hot and pulsing after walking. I have had positive ANA 4 times. Two rheumatologists said I don't meet any criteria to be diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. I've gone to a neurologist. They have done brain MRI (rule out multiple sclerosis), vascular ultrasound of both legs (rule out blood clots), back x rays (no messed up discs), EMG & nerve conduction (no neuropathy or nerve entrapment). I came back to the podiatrist and he says he can't help me (I've tried orthotics, injections, expensive shoes). He discharged me this morning. I still can't stand in a line or wash dishes without my feet burning. At times (rare like 5 times a year maybe) I'll get a shock on the top of my feet when I step on the ground. For the most part, my issue is with my burning feet. I have cried and can't work certain jobs because of this issue. I have just finished graduate school and I feel like this is impacting my life as I can't work certain jobs. I would appreciate any advice..... I am desperate and depressed because of this. I've had this issue for at least 9 years. I can't go to Disneyland or universals, my feet are in throbbing pain. I have only been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome, but it is not believed to be related. 

Comments

• AudreyM49
    AudreyM49 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Options
    Hi and welcome to scope. I’m sorry to hear you are having such a bad time and I hope you’ll get the help you need. Take care
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @madrigaldeflor hi and welcome to scope, only advice I have to offer would be to ask your GP to refer you to the local pain clinic see if they can at least help with that side of things?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @madrigaldeflor - welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. There's not much more distressing than pain, & not finding answers, so I'm very sorry you're experiencing this. Sadly sometimes it takes a bit of time to find the cause.
    As someone who experiences chronic daily pain, I wonder if you have tried distraction techniques......anything you might be interested in to take your mind off the pain, if only a little. These are likely avenues that would be discussed & explored in a pain clinic as suggested above. It's about finding ways that you can cope with pain, & often several modalities work better than just one. It's also about finding what you can do, rather than what you cannot.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @madrigaldeflor :) I'm sorry to hear that you're in so much pain at the moment, and that it's stopping you from doing the things you enjoy. I'd second the advice to ask your doctor about pain management options while you and your team try and work out what's causing the pain.

It's understandable that you'd be feeling desperate and depressed. Have you been able to access any mental health support? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Maverick2020
    Maverick2020 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    We should never give up trying to find a cause no matter how distant it seems. Try an elimination diet with a 3mth period for each elimination/s. Start from a vegan diet basis and organic where possible and stick to the fresh fruit and veg with every meal. Take some supplements such as vitamin D and Omega's (check out vegetology) daily and get some daylight/sun and exercise daily. We need to stop relying on the system and fight back ourselves first. We are what we eat/drink/do so never give up trying to beat it or hope. Where there is a will. The pray hope and do not worry. This is basic bread and butter living which is our foundation. The modern world keeps trying to drag us out of ourselves but we should seek inner peace. If you have serious worries and dreads. let them go and move on. Dont carry any excess baggage, mental or physical and keep your life simple. There may be many other triggers for our ills that we could never fathom but always have faith in yourself and pray about it. There are often no state sticky plasters for our own demise and the best thing we have in life is ourselves so love you and every day is a fresh start to do something new, try something new and never give up on yourself. Nothing to lose so maybe you might give it a shot. peace be with you.
  • languagelover96
    languagelover96 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Not sure if this is something you know about, yet endometriosis is common. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hi @madrigaldeflor :) I was just wondering how you've been feeling recently? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @madquasimodo I'm sorry to hear you are suffering in pain. I can strongly relate to how you may be feeling. I have a rare disease and my symptoms started around 22/23 years of age and I had to spend alot of time being admitted to hospital and if not, alot if my time was spent in bed because I was so poorly. Please feel free to message me if you'd like to talk. I'm always here to listen.
    Well done on finishing grad school you should be so proud of yourself. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.