Hi, my name is samiamir! Can you use your blue badge for business matters? Have I misused it? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is samiamir! Can you use your blue badge for business matters? Have I misused it?

Options
samiamir
samiamir Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited December 2021 in Transport and travel
I have been given fine ticket by traffic warden even i was displaying my blew badge,meeting all the conditions and the rules of parking on double line,while i was working as delivery driver.i have been told that i mis-used my blew badge because is used in conjunction with business matter,have i broke the law? as i couldn't find anything in the gov.com blew badge scheme right and responsibilities,that i did commit an offence.

Comments

• trio
    trio Community member Posts: 27 Listener
    Options
    Hello im new on here too , i dont know much about the law on blue badges i have one though .
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @samiamir :) I wasn't able to find anything specifically about this situation either. I've marked your question as unanswered, moved it into the relevant category, and renamed it so that other members can find it more easily.

I'd suggest that perhaps you could ring Citizens Advice to ask if they know, or your local council to clarify the rules. Would that be possible for you?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Were you perhaps in a restricted loading/unloading area where use of Blue Badge is not permitted?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-blue-badge-scheme-rights-and-responsibilities-in-england/the-blue-badge-scheme-rights-and-responsibilities-in-england
    Badge holders may park on single or double yellow lines for up to 3 hours, but in general not where there are restrictions on loading or unloading – indicated by yellow kerb dashes and / or signs on plates. You may wish to check whether a particular local council has chosen to exempt Blue Badge holders from this restriction.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I had the same problem when I was working in care I wasn't allowed to use my blue badge whilst I was working unless I had a service user with me who had their own blue badge 

Some councils don't allow parking on double yellow lines  if it is allowed thete has to be no obstruction 

In your post though you said it was because you were working so you need to find out before paying the fine 
  • samiamir
    samiamir Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Good Morning to everyone and a big thank you to everyone who helped by answering my blew badge parking issue. i would like to mention that i did manage to revoke the fine parking ticket,as i did my research on the management traffic act 2004 legislation which nothing was mentioned,that the blew badge holder can't use blew badge in conjunction with work or business. To make sure I called couple law firm confirmed that it was within  my right using the blew badge to park on double line for 3 hours while i was working,i would like to mention that the blew badge is related to the person and not to the car or business you are doing. i did press formal complaint against the traffic enforcement officer for power abuse,for causing a person stress and alarm,failed to justified his action.the office replied that a procedure of complaint will follow and will let me know if any action will be taken. 
  • craftyarts
    craftyarts Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    So long as you are not blocking a entrance or parking where you are specifically not allowed or go over your permitted time and displaying your blue badge correctly with arrival times I am sure that you can use it for work related activities. I have known many people who have been working who rely on the blue badge to help them get to and from work. The blue badge is issued because you have ambulatory issues either due to COPD , a wheelchair user , ME, arthritis, cancer if your criteria qualifies,  just to name a few qualifying conditions stating you cant walk further than a alotted distance.  It is not discriminatory if you are working or leisure . Actually the blue badge was to help people continue working . A blue badge is not income related . It is to help individuals function as best as they are able in the community. 
    Check the byelaws of the county councils that you were parked as each one has its own specific anomalies . So long as you were not over a line or designated bay, zebra crosding school zig zag lines then write to the council or authority.  It is always advisable to take photographs forward , back and side also overview of the street . To makesure your vehicle was not restricting access or flow of traffic . Then appeal the descision accompanying it with photographic evidence. Contact your local access group and MP to alert them to the position that you find yourself in and ask for their support .
    I hope this is helpful?  
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    samiamir said:
    Good Morning to everyone and a big thank you to everyone who helped by answering my blew badge parking issue. i would like to mention that i did manage to revoke the fine parking ticket,as i did my research on the management traffic act 2004 legislation which nothing was mentioned,that the blew badge holder can't use blew badge in conjunction with work or business. To make sure I called couple law firm confirmed that it was within  my right using the blew badge to park on double line for 3 hours while i was working,i would like to mention that the blew badge is related to the person and not to the car or business you are doing. i did press formal complaint against the traffic enforcement officer for power abuse,for causing a person stress and alarm,failed to justified his action.the office replied that a procedure of complaint will follow and will let me know if any action will be taken. 
    Hi @samiamir

I just wanted to check in to see how you're getting on? Did you manage to get to the bottom of your blue badge situation? I hope the above comments from our users helped you with your situation :)     

If you have any other questions or queries, please just let us know and we will be happy to help out. 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.