do you exercise? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

do you exercise?

Comments

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @Geegeenumber1
                                        Firstly, I hope that you are able to get your knees sorted, it must be difficult if it's having an impact on everyday life and I hope that your mobility car arrives as scheduled to support you with your independence :) 20kg dumbells sounds amazing, good for you, I only do 2kg weights as due to my Cerebral Palsy I don't have much strength and that's why I'm trying to build it up safely. I use my wheelchair much more now so need to have the strength to self-propel.  The hand bike really helps with this as well and as you say can really get your heart rate up :) The other thing with a hand bike is people can also use it for their legs if they want too, though I don't. I am an ambassador for a local charity whereby I use my personal experience of physical activity as a disabled person to help inform change and work towards making physical activity more inclusive. Thank you.
  • Geegeenumber1
    Geegeenumber1 Community member Posts: 1,066 Pioneering
    @WestHam06

hello sorry the reply is so late! How are you?

Thank you for sharing your experiences around exercise

I am back in the gym now after about three years but obv I can't go mad and I have a trainer so that the exercises can be adjusted

It feels wonderful to get moving again though even thoug of course I can't do all I used to - that's what got my knee injury in the first place!

I really used to enjoy those bikes for the arms and you are surprised how out of breath you get.

It;s great that you are active and involved with the charity - it def feels good to use your body even if you can't do much or not too often. Anythung is better than nothing
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,046 Disability Gamechanger
    I try to but with my physical disabilities I find  it hard. 
  • Tiffy1691
    Tiffy1691 Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    I have been a part of  my hospital's back class where we did a half hour of physio and took part in a group session with a mental health coach. My problem is that having spinal stenosis it limits my physical activities due to pain, numbness, burning sensations etc. I have put weight on but keep persevering in my attempts to lose it. I do well for a time but then pig out. 
  • Geegeenumber1
    anyone tried hydrotherapy? was it effective? i am getting 4 half hour sessions on nhs and after that its extremely expensive apparently, wondered if anyone had tried it?

My issues are my knee arthritis/ injury and also bad back caused by being top heavy!
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    How are you finding the sessions so far @Geegeenumber1 if you've had any yet?

I've not tried it myself, but I know it can be very beneficial for some people :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Geegeenumber1
    Hi no not haD SESSION YET 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to go to Boxercise classes, and I loved them. It isn't for everyone, but I liked the structure and repetition :)

You'll have to let us know what hydrotherapy was like @Geegeenumber1
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Geegeenumber1
    Hi I have not had hydrotherapy yet 

Yes I used to love boxing too! Makes you super fit like nothing else

I love being active again but can't go crazy with it as I don't want another injury thats why Ive invested in a trainer initially - shame I'm not rich enough to have one long term but it is worth every penny of my savings and it feels fantastic every session.

My trainer is going to incorporate boxing moves ! I also love the rowing machine and weights 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    You'll have to let us know when you have :) 

I loved it, I am prone to Hernias, so it is a great way to give a full body workout without being too targeted. I would say, have a look at online YouTubers who do fitness videos. I know many people put together their own workouts from them. My boxing was one on one and an expense, but like you said, it doesn't beat how you feel. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

• YA217
    YA217 Scope Member Posts: 1 Listener
    I am a wheelchair/crutches user and I try to do sports with my dog as much as I can. We do wheelchair joring and what I like to call “crutches canicross” 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Those sound like great forms of exercise @YA217. Thanks for sharing this with us. 

How do you find these forms of exercise? Would be intrigued to hear more about this if you would like to share more with us  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,046 Disability Gamechanger
    I have been to my Boccia club today which is a sport for disabled people. Has anyone heard of it?
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    hi @durhamjaide2001, I have heard of Boccia, I saw it while the Paralympics were on. 
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• durhamjaide2001
    Poppy_ said:
    hi @durhamjaide2001, I have heard of Boccia, I saw it while the Paralympics were on. 
    Cool
  • Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 746 Pioneering
    One of the pupils at the College I used to go to has regularly been selected for the UK Paralympics team for Boccia
  • Alex_Alumni
    That's exciting @Siwheels73, I had a friend at university who played Boccia for team GB, as a reserve I believe!

Do you enjoy watching? It can get pretty tense at times  :D  
    Scope

• durhamjaide2001
    One of the pupils at the College I used to go to has regularly been selected for the UK Paralympics team for Boccia
    Congratulations I wanted to do that but unfortunately I can't I'm to able 
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,573 Pioneering
    Exercise cycles work wonders 
  • Alex_Alumni
    I enjoy using cycles too @Wibbles, at my local gym there's a handcycle, as well as recumbent bikes, so a few different choices, but I know that's no possible everywhere. 
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.