This hot weather which describes you? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

This hot weather which describes you?

fluffycat
fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering

This hot weather which describes you? 6 votes

Leave house before bed ?
16% 1 vote
Leave house in morning ?
16% 1 vote
Mix of AM / PM ?
66% 4 votes

Comments

• fluffycat
    I don't know if better in the evening or morning to venture out. (Evening has advantage of sun down though, Morning sun soon rises, lately)

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Is there an option for not leaving the house at all until September?  :D

This heat really isn't for me, but my other problems dictate the times I can go out.  At the moment, we're still getting a nice cool breeze in the evening, which is nicer indoors but I can't get out then.  The sun rises too early to get anything done while it's still cool in the morning though!  
  • LadyL
    LadyL Community member Posts: 46 Connected
    During the hot weather, mostly I'd only leave the house when I had to, unless there was a good reason I wanted to, of course. ?

Hot weather doesn't suit me at all unfortunately, as it makes my joints swell (RA-related). Also, I suffer from hayfever and really don't like bugs. ?

So if I had to or wanted to, and had a choice when to go out, it would probably be early morning before lunch-time (before the heat and pollen gets worse) or in the evening when it is a bit cooler outside.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    If I went out I’d go in the evening definitely. 
    Although today I have to go out with a friend to walk his elderly dog in the late afternoon. Not looking forward to it frankly, but I’ll wear my Clint Eastwood hat and try to look cool at least...

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• fluffycat
    @leeCal

Some people use normal black or colourful brollies to shield partly from the sun, whilst on the go.

Not been sweating for ages so that might be the crux of hot weather making feel worse. (Humid)

• leeCal
    That’s a good idea, I hadn’t thought of using my brolly, @fluffycat, that’s lateral thinking ? 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I prefer heading out in the late afternoon or early evening usually @fluffycat, but I'm not much of an early riser!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not enjoying the heat my bungalow retains the heat 

I have to have curtains and blinds closed due to my sight issues and going out in the bright light is horrendous 

But got to go out today in middle of mid day sun to take toby for appt to have his toe nail removed 
  • fluffycat
    @Tori_Scope

The sun doesn't go to bed until about 9 or 10pm and awakens around 6 or 7 am so have to get out then, else makes feel weary. (though if cloudy can be different)

Can feel like a huge welcome little fridge in the early hours until re-enter my house and like a greenhouse inside!!!

• OverlyAnxious
    leeCal said:
    If I went out I’d go in the evening definitely. 
    Although today I have to go out with a friend to walk his elderly dog in the late afternoon. Not looking forward to it frankly, but I’ll wear my Clint Eastwood hat and try to look cool at least...
    I've been trying to choose a suitable sun hat...  Trouble is I want something with a wide enough brim to cover my neck and face...but also a small enough brim that it won't get in the way getting in the car or dodging branches (I try to keep shaded under trees wherever possible).  Not sure there's a workable compromise!
  • fluffycat
    @janer1967

Annoying when buildings n pavements etc. retain the heat!!

Hopeful toenail and afternoon venture go without a hitch 
  • fluffycat
  • OverlyAnxious
    fluffycat said:
    @OverlyAnxious

Straw hat any good? 
    That's what I was thinking but then read straw hats aren't actually very good in the sun, all the gaps between the straw lets the UV through... 
  • leeCal
    edited June 2021
    @OverlyAnxious there are sea grass ones on amazon which might suit? Very light but effective, approx £12-15. 

Youre right though they do have small small gaps in them. ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• fluffycat
    @leeCal

Cocktail hat? (like in Bfst @ Tiff)
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I just go out whenever and try to appreciate whatever the weather happens to be at that point in time. :)

If I lived somewhere like Canada or Saudi Arabia with extreme cold or heat then maybe some planning would be required but I find this country quite "average" in terms of weather, never really hot or cold.

I'm lucky though in that I don't have any conditions that are negatively affected by heat. I have sympathy with people whose conditions are made worse when it's hot.
  • leeCal
    Phew ? survived the dog walk!
    i say walk, my elderly friend has a walker on wheels and he put the elderly terrier in the shopping bag on the walker because her paws were getting too hot on the pavements. No room for me too! 

My first and probably only walk this week. ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Love the sunny weather ?
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Today its raining here but lovely weather yesterday 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.