Pip and hearing loss — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip and hearing loss

Options
EMMc1966
EMMc1966 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
Hi everyone I'm a new member so a bit nervous writing this ? I've applied for PIP and now at the Tribunal stage so trying to gather all the evidence that I can. I applied for profound hearing loss and don't hold up much chance of getting it but I've come this far already (9 months) so I'm taking it all the way to Tribunal. I don't have much medical evidence and DWP already have all I have so looking on the lines of asking family and work colleagues to write me a statement on how they find my hearing loss effecting my life on a daily basis. I've read on here that I could possibly write to my audiologist for a summary of how profound my hearing loss is. DWP refused me PIP because I was able to hear the assessor on the telephone without my hearing aids even though in my MR letter I told them I had to have my phone volume at maximum and I find it hard to hear on the phone with hearing aids in. They're now saying that I have enough preserved hearing to hear a fire alarm going off while I'm taking a bath or shower without my hearing aids in. This is totally untrue... I work as a cleaner in the evening and part of my job is to lock up which means setting the alarm and for the 5 years I've worked here I've never once heard the alarm set until I started wearing my hearing aids a few months ago. Top and bottom of it all is their decision states because I can hear on the phone without my aids I have enough preserved hearing. I'm stumped as to how to prove them wrong. Sorry to waffle on but I just need some guidance please.

Comments

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 558 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi,

Just to help you out abit, Stating you have profound hearing loss isn't enough to get PiP. You need to state and prove how this affects you from carrying out daily tasks such as cooking and preparing a meal. If you can wash and bath unaided, if you can get dressed yourself and how well you can communicate with others. You need to prove that you struggle with each discriptor and prove so to get PiP.

Pip is based on a point system so if you score low and can manage these tasks daily then it is unlikely you will be awarded PiP, and your not awarded just on your diagnosis alone.

Heres a list of the PiP Discriptors and the points awarded for each: https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

Hope this helps,

I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @EMMc1966

A very warm welcome.

@Username_removed has given some very good advice.

If I could add further, from my own perspective about hearing loss.  Totally agree you need expert welfare rights advice, might suggest your first port of call should be RNID helpline tel: 0808 808 0123. You should search in your area, for a local deaf association, my local association have been truly outstanding, over a number of years.

Now let’s turn to hearing loss, I have to declare an interest, I consider myself an expert on all things related to hearing loss.

Why do I make such a profound statement?

During my early childhood I have had problems with my left ear ( I called it my sticky ear), I endured various procedures to no avail. Roll onto adulthood, my sticky got worse despite numerous referrals to ENT.

Roll onto midlife, my concentration had become very poor and I became anti-social, for some reason I could not stand being around people. I thought of myself as a bit of a basket case!

Then I report to GP balance problems, which result in ENT appointment and hearing test.  Low and behold I have hearing loss in both ears and have two hearing aids, so I now realise I am not a basket case.

Of I go to my local deaf association, who suggest all kinds of gizmos to use, like flashing lights, as a replacement doorbell.

There has been a recent decision handed down by UT, that aids are needed for bathing.

You will get expert advice from RNID on what aids are available.

Hope this is of assistance and please let us know, if we can help further.
  • EMMc1966
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @Username_removed - not sure if I'm replying properly as haven't used this forum before but hope you get this message. Thank you so much for your advice it's the best advice I've been given so far. I'm not the brightest of sparks so found some of the advise a bit double dutch to me haha but you've definitely boosted my moral as I'm feeling I've hit a brick wall. I checked your link and I'm still not sure about what kind of representation direction to be looking in. Do you advise RNID as I've seen a lot of people recommending them. I'm trying to get outside the box with all this, my MR letter I wrote I wish you could read it because I got way outside the box writing it and it had so much detail about hearing loss I surprised even myself. Of course I did a lot of research to help me. I've been feeling flat lately because of all this but your advise has definitely picked me up and got me back in the fighting spirit again. One thing though I was a bit stumped to understand your statement about the audiology bit though... like I've just said, I'm not the brightest spark haha. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    EMMc1966 said:... it had so much detail about hearing loss I surprised even myself. Of course I did a lot of research to help me. ..
    Research about hearing loss in general is not relevant. Remember that PIP is all about how your health conditions affect YOU. People with the same condition can experience different impacts.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • EMMc1966
    Options
    @calcotti yes I understand that... it was research on the descriptors mainly and how to word my letter.
  • EMMc1966
    Options
    @Username_removed hi me again... I've been looking through the descriptors again as I wondered what the descriptors you said I could score points at. I've used 4,7 and 9 but looking over yours for 1, 8 and 11d I don't have a clue how I can use these. Any guidance on these please? 
  • EMMc1966
    Options
    @Username_removed I wear my hearing aids while cooking so can hear, so don't think that would apply to me or the writing one. The follow a route is a hard one cos generally I can follow a route but struggle to hear bus drivers and at train stations I can't hear tannoys etc also the background noise in these places is sometimes awful. But don't think it really effects my daily living unless I'm travelling which isn't often.
  • calcotti
    Options
    EMMc1966 said: But don't think it really effects my daily living unless I'm travelling which isn't often.
    PIP is about the difficulties you have not about what you choose to do. Clearly people seek to limit the amount they do things they find difficult or simply have preferences. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • EMMc1966
    Options
    @calcotti Ah I understand what your getting at. Thank you for that advice.
  • EMMc1966
    Options
    @Username_removed you know what I've never looked at it like that before and come to think about it, I do have difficulties. I can't multi task like I used to before I had a brain haemorrhage 9 years ago and when I'm cooking I stress myself if I'm not organised. But the issue is I'm very forgetful now and do tend to leave cooking appliances on. I'm forever leaving hobs on when I finish using them, I've left the oven on loads of times too. I even switch the microwave on and forget to put what I'm cooking inside and have the microwave going without anything in it, which can be dangerous. I also put my washing machine on and forget to put my washing in haha it happens loads of times. I've been like this since my haemorrhage, very forgetful but I haven't made an issue of it in my claim for PIP as I've been focused on my hearing loss. I did read up that hearing loss can effect yr memory but haven't really given it much thought. Thank you Mike.
  • EMMc1966
    Options
    @Username_removed thank you, yr advice has been invaluable. Basically I need to try and get outside the box a lot more. Can I just ask you... because I've concentrated on descriptors 4,7 and 9 in my MR letter can I change this to add other descriptors or do I need to start all over again which I don't really want to do as this has been going on for over 9 months now. Also when you say the examples I cite will need more detail that's the bit I have difficulty with... the wording of all these things, so how to u recommend I do this. Also I've taken your advice and emailed RNID to ask if they can help me find a representative or point me in the right direction. I'm just awaiting their reply. 
  • EMMc1966
    Options
    @Username_removed it's the explaining why the change in descriptors that worries me lol. Ah I emailed RNID just to see if they could point me in the right direction. I looked on the link u gave me but didn't really have anything that I thought would help in my area. I'm thinking of getting in touch with CAB tomorrow and asking if they can point me in the right direction too. I definitely want a representative now after your advise. This is hard work doing it alone, its the writing stuff and getting myself across that I'm finding difficult. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    Although it’s a good strategy for getting through life ‘Things could be worse, mustn’t grumble’ is definitely not the right way to approach a PIP form. ‘It’s awful’ is better for the PIP form - albeit it makes for a depressing experience. It’s also about help that you might need even if you are not getting it. So if your cooking is actually potentially dangerous there is a possible argument that you require supervision to cook safely.
  • EMMc1966
    Options
    @calcotti so a little exaggeration may help?
  • EMMc1966
    Options
    @Username_removed after having a snoop around on Google I've found a North East law centre that may help as there advice is they can offer free advice and often representation for PIP appeals so gonna give them a ring tomorrow and find out if the can help me. So pleased with the all the advise you've gave me, I feel a bit more confident now. I'm making a note of all yr advice and jotting it down so I can keep referring to it.
  • calcotti
    Options
    EMMc1966 said:
    @calcotti so a little exaggeration may help?
    I would never suggest exaggerating anything. Just tell it how it is the majority of the time.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @EMMc1966 Welcome to our online community!  I'm glad you started this thread and the advice received has given you confidence going forwards.

You mentioned some difficulties you have in the home and I wondered if you felt sufficiently supported?  If you think you might benefit from a social care needs assessment, then you can apply online at this government webpage.  

Please let us know how you get on and if you have any more questions, fire away.  Good luck.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • EMMc1966
    Options
    @Username_removed thanks again and I'll keep you updated once I've found someone to represent me. You advise has been awesome.
  • EMMc1966
    Options
    @Username_removed hi just to let you know I've managed to find a legal representative in my area who's gonna help me. As I said the other day, I can't thank you enough. I will keep you informed of any future developments.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.