Somerset Wheelchair Services — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Somerset Wheelchair Services

Hello to all, I am currently applying for a Personal Wheelchair Budget and Somerset Wheelchair Services (Millbrook) have been disgraceful throughout.  They constantly tell me things, then deny later. Help and compassion for my needs is being totally ignored.  I have requested the eligibility criteria for a chair and they are refusing to show this to me.  I am now complaining to the CCG but I am interested to know if other people are as unlucky as me or if I have just been unfortunate?

Thanks Julie 

Comments

• atlas47
    atlas47 Member Posts: 243 Pioneering
    Hi @JustJulie

A very warm welcome.

I have to say you have been treated badly.

My sister in law, is an Assistant OT, she deals with existing and new users.

She is based in the community and assesses for best type of wheel chair.

Because of COVID-19 there has been a backlog, but nothing too much.

You should have been assessed by an OT and the chair should have ordered.

Of note, if you do not want the chair recommended, they should offer you a voucher to enable you to source your own.

Keep on at the CCG and have a word with PALS, for them to assist you.

Keep us informed.
  • JustJulie
    JustJulie Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Will do, thank you for your comments.  I have already contacted PALS and they were lovely, but sadly still no response from CCG.  My next step will be reporting them to the ICO and see if they get anywhere with it 

Thanks Julie 
  • WPM
    WPM Member Posts: 5 Listener
    @JustJulie Sorry to hear that. 

sadly this is what happens when NHS services are privatised. 
    Private companies work for profit and get rid of experienced NHS staff. 

I would recommend that you chase the CCGs via PALS very  couple of weeks until you get a satisfactory answer. 

CCGs need to know how the private company they have handed over patient care too to save money, are treating people. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.