Will my ESA be affected if I take my occupational pension? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Will my ESA be affected if I take my occupational pension?

gismo Member Posts: 2 Listener
Will my esa be affected if I take my occupational pension 


  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,374 Disability Gamechanger
    For contribution based ESA you will have a reduction of 50% of any pension income over £85/week.

    For income based ESA any pension income will be deducted from ESA in full.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,400 Scope online community team
    Hi @gismo

    This is a confusing one isn't it but I hope @calcotti has demystified how receiving your pension would affect your ESA.  This Citizens Advice webpage gives more details about ESA and pensions, should you need it.

    Just to let you know, I've moved your thread to our ESA category and amended the title to make it easier for others to spot.

    Take care and if you have any more questions, please give us a shout.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,751 Disability Gamechanger
    Regardless of the amount you should inform ESA that you are getting a pension and how much per week/month it is.
    Be extra nice to new members.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.