Having difficulty paying my mortgage & need advice on possibly renting. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Having difficulty paying my mortgage & need advice on possibly renting.

Summersmommy Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all so I’m in a 2 bed home with mortgage and I’m receiving esa and I’m in the support group. Iv been unsuccessful claiming pip and I’m having difficulty paying my mortgage. I have a boy 13 and girl 4 sharing a room and really need to move. If I rented out my property could I use that rent towards renting a 3 bed ? If I sell il have about 25k which I think means I would lose my esa and children’s benefits altogether but if I rented and lived off 25k it be all gone within around 18 months I just feel stuck all because I’m unwell on lcwra I can’t move to get a bedroom for my daughter 


  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Member Posts: 5,787 Disability Gamechanger
    If you rent your house out you will have to register as a landlord  and the money you make every month will be deducted from your esa you would also have to pay for repairs  for your house and have fire alarms fitted and your gas and electric checked out  to make sure it's all safe 

    If you sold it as you say you may lose some of your benefits maybe you should speak to the citizens advice before you make any decisions and see what help you can get 

    My friend is in a similar position  and has sought help from citizens advice and she said they are helping her 

    Others may have better advice they will probably reply later on 

    Hope you get something sorted 

    Take care 
  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,400 Scope online community team
    Hello @Summersmommy and a warm welcome to our online community.  How are you doing today?

    I'm sorry things are difficult at the minute money-wise.  I wondered if I could ask a few more questions so we could better help you? 

    Firstly, did you request a Mandatory Reconsideration of your PIP decision or take it to appeal?  Also, is your ESA all income-related or is any of it contribution-based or 'New Style'?  And lastly, do you claim any other benefits e.g. tax credits, UC or child benefit?

    If you could answer those questions, we'll get back to you with some more robust advice :)

    Also, just to let you know I've tweaked your thread's title and moved it to our Housing and independent living category so it's more visible to others.  Take care and I look forward to hearing back from you.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Member Posts: 6,467 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    I assume you’ve considered support for mortgage interest help, though it is a loan and I’m not advocating it by any means.

    “This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.