Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Just saying Hi

MikkaMikka Member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi guys

Well, I took the plunge after many years of wondering whether to join one of these online thingies!

Had an accident and had above-knee amputation. Haven't been able to tolerate a prosthesis due to damn phantom pain that drives me insane! Been on high dose morphine for 12 years and currently trying to taper the dose without much success.

Well, that's a start isn't it!? 

Replies

• leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mikka, just to say welcome to the community and best wishes 🙂
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,160 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome 

I am a below knee amputee nearly 4 years now 

I too can't get on with prosthetic leg my knee can't support me and dislocates and since my amputation have become partially sighted too 

I have no feeling in my good leg below knee so I can't feel or see uneven surface making it very high risk of falls 

Glad to meet another person in same situation but for different reasons 

My nerve pain is under control 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,128 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mikka - & welcome to the community. Pleased you've joined us all. All I can personally say is, you can very carefully taper off morphine, but usually with your GP or prescribing consultants help. I tapered off incredibly slowly, but have got there, so hope you are able to do so with your Drs help. My best wishes.
Sign in or join us to comment.