Hi, I'm rob1111! People staring at me in a wheelchair — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm rob1111! People staring at me in a wheelchair

rob1111
rob1111 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am in wheelchair and little kids starring at me how can I help it

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rob1111 welcome to the forum, they are probably just curious, feel free to join in on the topics.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

I am also in a wheelchair but I don't let it bother me 

Young children are just curious and tend to look and state if it is something they haven't seen before

If they are older it would be more concerning as they should know better 

Try saying hello to them 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I was in a wheel chair when I was 11 as I had to have three operations on my legs  I could never understand why people talked loud and slow  as if I was stupid or something and pat me on my head  and put sweets on my lap lol  used to drive me mad  

People used to walk into me  as well I think they just wanted to share my wheel chair it was pretty cool  though my dad painted it pink and covered the seat in fluffy pink material  I loved it lol 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @rob1111

Welcome to the community, sorry to hear that people are staring at you. I've experienced similar things when using my cane and it's hard to know what to do in those circumstances.

It's difficult for me to notice if people are staring due to my very limited vision, but on the odd occasion I can notice it I'm either torn between just smiling and asking if they're okay / have any questions, or just ignoring them and moving on.

It can be hard when it comes to children because I think sometimes there can be a lack of understanding about the purpose of such aids and why somebody might need them, so they might just be curious.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rob1111 - & welcome to the community. As the others have said, if it's a young child, I feel they're just curious. I use elbow crutches outside, & when I've noticed this, I just smile, & they usually smile back. :)
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, engage with the children and they will respond with a remark and smile, it’s something new. While I was out only yesterday I mother walking the dog with a 6 &7 year old mum said we are walking back to the car. I spoke to the boy who was chatty is it the blue one being towed away. His sister replied your only kidding which I was the mum and children where at ease talking and we parted waving goodbye see you another time.
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    It depends what mood I am in as to how I respond. With children I always try to engage them in some sort of conversation. With adults sometimes I smile, sometimes I stare back and sometimes if they make an inapropriate comment I make one back!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.