Hi, my name is broomy! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is broomy!

broomy
broomy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My husband and I have decided that our autistics , sld, adhd son needs more help than we can give him also he is older now and needs to leave school . The local special needs college has stated that they cannot meet his needs and so we are thinking residential. 
    We are thinking 52 weeks as the la state that they cannot promise how much respite we would get and when or if any overnights. He is extremely hard , physically aggressive, verbally aggressive . I know that really it is what he needs and what we all need but  I need to talk to someone who has been through this . We are worried that he will not settle in , like it even , possibly get worse ( if that is possible). We would love it if he loved it there , we are trying to choose the best for him so they give him lots to do as he needs 24 /7 stimulation . 
     Anybody out there who will understand where we come from . Please any help or understanding right now as this process is damn hard . 
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @broomyjb

Wishing you a warm welcome to the community, I'm glad you've joined us. 

I can see that this situation is causing you stress at the minute and it must be hard for you and your husband, but it sounds to me as though you're doing fantastically and trying everything you can to get the support your son needs. 

Have you discussed the situation with your son's GP or health professional to see what they could advise? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • broomy
    broomy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Health professionals state that residential college would be great for him and us , especially as we have another autistic son and all of our older sons behaviours are having an awful impact on us all . I know really what we are trying to do is right but the evil little angel on my shoulder is stating what if’s and it just puts doubt there and then seeds grow and spread , if you know what I mean . I would like to see / speak to someone who has been through this type of process and what outcomes have they had .

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.