Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Is LCWRA means tested? Can you claim both Carers Allowance and LCWRA?

tee1993tee1993 Member Posts: 6 Listener
edited June 25 in Carer's allowance
I wanted some advice regarding the limited capability for work and work-related activity and carers allowance. 

Last year I reported my fit note to Universal credit on the 5th February 2020. I was then assessed five months later around July 2020 via a telephone assessment, this was to assess whether I was capable to look for work. 

The assessor wrote to me later saying that they wanted to assess me again but face to face before making a decision, however due to the lockdown this was put on hold. 

So I was finally assessed last week and the decision maker sent me a letter on my UC journal with the outcome, it said that I've been awarded the limited capability for work and work-related activity (LCWRA).

Prior to the second assessment I had last week, I applied for carers allowance as I've been taking care of my mother. She receives both components of PIP (one standard and one higher rate). I met all the conditions so I applied about 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting to hear from them. 

However I'm in a bit of a dilemma now as I'm unsure as to how this will affect any future payments that may be awarded. 

I have searched online and I found out that I should be eligible for the (LCWRA) £343.60 monthly. I wanted to know if this amount is means tested and whether this amount affects Universal credit. 

From what I've read online I'm not entirely sure if my findings are correct.  
If you receive both (LCWRA) and the carers element, will I be awarded only the one depending on what's higher? 

Replies

• tee1993tee1993 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    edited June 21
    I wanted some advice regarding the limited capability for work and work-related activity and carers allowance. 

Last year I reported my fit note to Universal credit on the 5th February 2020. I was then assessed five months later around July 2020 via a telephone assessment, this was to assess whether I was capable to look for work. 

The assessor wrote to me later saying that they wanted to assess me again but face to face before making a decision, however due to the lockdown this was put on hold. 

So I was finally assessed last week and the decision maker sent me a letter on my UC journal with the outcome, it said that I've been awarded the limited capability for work and work-related activity (LCWRA).

Prior to the second assessment I had last week, I applied for carers allowance as I've been taking care of my mother. She receives both components of PIP (one standard and one higher rate). I met all the conditions so I applied about 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting to hear from them. 

However I'm in a bit of a dilemma now as I'm unsure as to how this will affect any future payments that may be awarded. 

I have searched online and I found out that I should be eligible for the (LCWRA) £343.60 monthly. I wanted to know if this amount is means tested and whether this amount affects Universal credit. 

From what I've read online I'm not entirely sure if my findings are correct.  
    If you receive both (LCWRA) and the carers element, will I be awarded only the one depending on what's higher? 

• calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,173 Pioneering
    edited June 21
    The LCWRA element is part of your UC award. When you look at your UC statements you will see that there is a calculation showing how your maximum amount is worked out before any deductions are made.
    What you will now see is the LCWRA element included in the calculation which increases your maximum amount by £343.60. It should be backdated to about May last year.

Claiming carer's Allowance will not increase your overall income because it will be deducted in full from the UC.
    You should tell UC that you care for your mother. As a carer you could be entitled to the carer element of UC - you do not have to claim Carer's Allowance to get this.

In your case, as you suggest, you will not get the carer element because UC does not allow the payment of the LCWRA element and the carer element to the same person. You will get the LCWRA element because this is worth more.

To summarise:
    You will see the LCWRA element included as an additional amount in the UC calculation (£343.60/month)
    You will see a deduction for the CA (minus £292.93/month)

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
    Thank you so much for your response, this makes sense. 

I think I'm better not claiming for carers allowance as I wouldn't gain anything. 
    edited June 21
    tee1993 said:
    Thank you so much for your response, this makes sense. 

I think I'm better not claiming for carers allowance as I wouldn't gain anything. 
    You do get Class 1 NI contributions rather than Class 3. Class 1 can help with claiming other benefits should you need to in the future whereas Class 3 only counts towards State Pension.
    https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/what-national-insurance-is-for

If you undertake any paid employment you do have to be mindful that you cease to be eligible for CA if your earnings exceed £128/week. There is no such limit on the carer element of UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • daddy920daddy920 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    I received LCWRA and still get carers allowance. You do lose cares element off UC. 
    Discussed in your duplicate thread 
    https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/81208/carers-allowance-and-lcwra#latest

(It isn’t helpful posting the same question in two places.)
    thank you x 
    Sorry new here I wasn't to sure if I posted it in the right place. 
    Hi guys, I need further advice please. 
    I've been paid by carers allowance today and it was backdated to 5th November 2020. I'm also in receipt of Universal credit, I wanted to know does this backdated payment get recovered by UC again. I haven't claimed for the carers element neither. 
    edited June 24
    This was my previous answer on June 21 in the duplicate thread
    calcotti said:
    The LCWRA element is part of your UC award. When you look at your UC statements you will see that there is a calculation showing how your maximum amount is worked out before any deductions are made.

What you will now see is the LCWRA element included in the calculation which increases your maximum amount by £343.60. It should be backdated to about May last year.

Claiming carer's Allowance will not increase your overall income because it will be deducted in full from the UC.

You should tell UC that you care for your mother. As a carer you could be entitled to the carer element of UC - you do not have to claim Carer's Allowance to get this.

In your case, as you suggest, you will not get the carer element because UC does not allow the payment of the LCWRA element and the carer element to the same person. You will get the LCWRA element because this is worth more.

To summarise:
    You will see the LCWRA element included as an additional amount in the UC calculation (£343.60/month)
    You will see a deduction for the CA (minus £292.93/month)
    The first thing you need to do is report your caring responsibilities to UC. You should have done this already. You should ask them to backdate it to the date your Carer’s Allowance starts from. They may refuse to do this because you didn’t tell them previously in which case you will need to persist.

UC will recalculate your previous monthly entitlements. As explained in any month that you have already got LCWRA you will not get the carer element. If there are months before the LCWRA started those will get the carer element added to them. Based on the dates you have mentioned it seems likely that your LCWRA element will have been backdated to before November 2020, if that is the case you will not get the carer element at all.

The Carer’s Allowance you received will appear as a monthly deduction.

When UC recalculate your entitlement they will overwrite all of the relevant monthly statement so, if you want a record of the previous calculations you need to make copies now.

Once they have completed the recalculations they will compare the results with what they previously paid you. This calculation will show that you have been overpaid UC. The overpayment will then be recovered by deduction from future UC payments.
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 5,002

Scope community team

Hi @tee1993 :) I've merged your two threads, as they seem to be about the same topic. Don't worry about it, as I know one some forums it's worth posting in more than one category.
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Sign in or join us to comment.