Can my daughter get carers element in her UC award for looking after me? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can my daughter get carers element in her UC award for looking after me?

Beesmummy798 Member Posts: 71 Courageous
Hi there hope everyone is well. I'm just after a wee bit of advice for myself.
I currently receive UC, ESA CB (LCWRA). I have recently applied for PIP in May, but that will be a long way off being finalised and a decision made I'm sure. 
Anyway.. My daughter has her own UC claim, she lives on her own with her 6month baby, my grandson ?
My question is can she apply for carer element in her UC claim for looking after me? She comes every day to help look after me for the most part of the week? I don't want it to reduce any of her payments as she couldn't cope on less money. 
Thankyou your help would be so much appreciated x


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,428 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

    You need to get pip daily living for anyone to claim carers for you 

    Once you have a decision and a award she can apply and it won't affect her uc 

    She needs to care for you for 35 hours or more 
  • Beesmummy798
    Beesmummy798 Member Posts: 71 Courageous
    @janer1967 thankyou so much for this info x
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,374 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    She can't be paid the carer element if she already gets the LCWRA element.

    Assuming she doesn't get the LCWRA element, if your daughter already looks after you for 35 hours/week I recommend she records a change of circumstances about caring responsibilities in her UC journal. She should explain that she looks after you and that you have applied for PIP. When you get a PIP decision, if you have been awarded Daily Living she should then be able to get the carer element backdated. If she gets it he carer element will be worth an extra £163.73/month to her and will also meant that she is not expected to look for work even when your grandson is older. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Beesmummy798
    Beesmummy798 Member Posts: 71 Courageous
    @calcotti this is great thankyou. I would never have thought to do that x


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.