Possible to get successful decision without sending in a diary? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Possible to get successful decision without sending in a diary?

LeeA380
LeeA380 Community member Posts: 59 Connected
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
When I made my application for PIP and even in the MR I did not think of including a 7 day diary of my movements/troubles.

Does this kind of thing enhance the chances of success?

I was only expecting to be given points on toilet/shower/preparing food/dressing and I was given 2 points for each of them EXCEPT the latter. This is why I did not get enough points for standard daily living.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    I have never sent a diary for either PIP (awarded twice) or ESA (awarded once), some people do and it can never be a bad thing.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Same here I have never sent a diary but it is a good thing to do 

Could you submit one now as extra evidence to your Mr before decision is made 
  • LeeA380
    LeeA380 Community member Posts: 59 Connected
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there 

Same here I have never sent a diary but it is a good thing to do 

Could you submit one now as extra evidence to your Mr before decision is made 
    I dont know how close to a decision it is now. This will be the 5th week since the MR has been queued (i was told maybe 8 weeks).
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    I sent one but not quite a week because they are so long I only sent 3 days worth but I haven't heard anything back yet! So I will let you know if I'm lucky enough to hear anything before you do? I'm not sure if with a MR if it all gets explained and broken down points wise like in an original decision letter? Gawd knows what happens ??‍♀️?? but I was told the diary can't hurt so nobody actually said I should send it? Also I sent in further information a few weeks back now and they took it but I do think as apparently they have to take it all into consideration I worry it may make it all take longer? That's my tuppence worth probably no help whatsoever sorry if that's the case! Good luck and hope you get the right decision ASAP ??
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Emilyb81 said:..I'm not sure if with a MR if it all gets explained and broken down points wise like in an original decision letter? ..
    The MR Notice is effectively a new decision letter.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LeeA380 - I did send an 8 day diary in (I overshot the week!) but this was before I joined Scope, & because I didn't have much evidence. I think it's perhaps useful to keep a diary, even if you don't send it in, because sometimes you forget some of the things you've learnt to manage, which are in fact difficulties. Whether it helped or not of course I don't know. :)
    With a MR all the evidence is just looked at again by another decision maker, Emily. You don't have to send in anything extra. However if you have something more that may add relevant evidence, then yes, send it in. Good luck to you both. :)
  • Emilyb81
    Thankyou  @chiarieds.... They didn't have anything  because I wasn't ever told to fill form in or sent one?
    I was just given a telephone assessment because I was due reassessment? And I believe that was how/why I got a no 2 weeks later and lost awards I previously had even though my situation had got much worse than when I first applied years ago? So when I first did the MR I hadn't been on here yet and did a long letter explaining how their decision had affected me and how shocked I was and was focused on wrong things :disappointed: and some letters from people that have helped me with certain tasks over the years... it was only after coming onto scope I was advised about what an MR actually should be? So then a few weeks later I sent in what would of been in the form people get and why I didn't agree with decisions, and copies of diary entries for a few days showing how I am day to day because the assessment was very unhelpful they had not given any of the information I had told her and she basically said she decided I could do all the things I said I cant? Anyhoo that's why I sent it all but I am worried the information I sent late will now obviously have to be read too and it was already taking a while?! But it's definitely something they needed! I mean the reasons I didn't agree and examples etc not so much the diary entries they were just something I thought may show how things get for me on average days? 
  • Emilyb81
  • chiarieds
    Think I'd rather it took 2-3 weeks longer, Emily, if that's the case (& it's entirely possible, from what other members have said, that an MR just takes quite a while unfortunately these days), yet got the right result. This bearing in mind that it would take even longer if then having to appeal.
    It sounds wise to send more info in from what you've experienced tho (no review form).  :)
  • Emilyb81
    That's true @Username_removed I do struggle to stick to diaries in I always have since a child I always wanted to try and start them but that would be all I'd do? Start them over and over ???‍♀️??‍♀️ and now I only do it if I remember (which isn't very often) and normally when I'm in a bad place and it's stopping me from concentrating I try and get it all written down in poem form or diary.... I literally started trying to do this one as it was suggested by my mental health worker as a way to get things out of my head and I rarely do it more than 2 or 3 days out of 7 ... I do think the examples of what happens when I attempt to do the descriptors and support letters from people who have had to help me with those tasks will be more helpful but I guess if they don't need the diary entries they will just not use them for anything?
     To be fair @LeeA380 they don't ask for them? So maybe that's for a reason? I always think it's better to have too much than not enough (in most situations) but as long as you put as much information as you needed to in the actual MR that's most probably all they will need? I really hope you get some news soon and that it's good! How long have you been waiting now I think I did read before but my memory is pants! Sorry ? 
  • Emilyb81
    What does WR stand for please @Username_removed?? 
  • chiarieds
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    I get pip and I didn’t send in a diary I sent care plans from my mental health team . But a diary is a good idea also you could get a family member or friend to write bout how your illness effects your day to day living . 
  • Emilyb81

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.