New balls please! Wimbledon musings and strawberry chat. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New balls please! Wimbledon musings and strawberry chat.

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited June 2021 in Coffee lounge

Yesterday saw the start of Wimbledon, the annual tennis championship sadly cancelled last year, famed for McEnroe's strops, strawberries and cream, and Cliff Richard singing in the rain.

Male tennis player serving with ball in the air and racket ready to hit

What's to know?

Not too long ago, the community discussed Naomi Osaka's withdrawal from the French Open and how her treatment reflected broader discrimination faced by disabled people.  In light of this, Osaka has taken the decision to not participate in Wimbledon this year and hopes to make a return to the sport by Tokyo 2021.

British hopes were also dashed yesterday when wildcard Jack Draper succumbed to men's favourite Novak Djokovic despite a promising first set.  This leaves Andy Murray and the rest of the British squad to battle onwards towards centre court glory.

When will the wheelchair games take place?

The draw for Gentlemen's and Ladies' wheelchair games is taking place on July 6 2021.  Keep an eye on this Wimbledon 'Draws' webpage for more news closer to the date.

Over to you:

• Are you a Wimbledon watcher?
  • Who has been your favourite tennis player - past or present?  
  • Who do you think will snatch the champion titles?
Let us know in the comments below.
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I went to Wimbledon once the best part about it was the dressing up the strawberries and cream and meeting celebrity's lol the atmosphere was good but I would rather play than watch  lol 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I once went to Wimbledon and literally bumped into Virginia Wade on steps outside centre court. She was far smaller than she looked on tv.

unfortunately Mr Murray is not match fit enough to win this year, I’m surprised he can play well at all after his hip operation but he’s still young which helps.

john McEnroe was my favourite player, quite a wizard with the ball. Federer comes a close second and Pete Sampras third. 

Not sure who'll win the ladies this year, Ostapenko perhaps but Djokovic looks set for another big payday.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.