Hi, my name is ArtforAll! How can I make video art accessible? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is ArtforAll! How can I make video art accessible?

ArtforAll
ArtforAll Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello Scope Community.

I need your advice! I am an artist making a piece of video art to be shown on large digital screens - the type you see at shopping centres. 

How can I make the video artwork accessible as I create it? It's important for me to consider this at all stages of its development, not just the final exhibition as an add on.

In particular, I'm keen to hear from anyone who has visual and/or hearing impairments, and those living with Cerebral Palsy.

Thanks for your help in advance!

KK

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ArtforAll and welcome to the community, what an exciting project that sounds like. 

What is the theme of your video art going to be? 

I have sight loss myself, and for me it would be important for it to have good contrast and audio description of some kind.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • ArtforAll
    ArtforAll Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello @Ross_Scope, thank you for your reply and for helping me understand what would help you! 

The theme of the work is about how 'letting go' can be a source of control!

If the work was shown in an outdoor public setting, how would you personally prefer the audio description to be provided on - personal headphones or on speakers?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome from me too

I'm visually impaired too for me it is important that the contrast of colours is right especially wording if light background needs dark writing 

Light wording hard to read unless on black background 

I find it hard for example if a film or something shows phone text messages key to the story and you can't read them 

May not be any use to you lol 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.