Wheelchair Options — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair Options

Options
skirton
skirton Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi, I’m 51 years old and have several health conditions, fibromyalgia, CFS, Chronic back pain and nerve damage in my back, I also have mental health problems, BPD, PTSD, and social anxiety. I am currently housebound, as my pain is so severe that my mobility is really limited, standing and/or walking causes severe pain. My GP recently tried me on Tramadol, but they didn’t help with the pain, and she has now said that I’m at the end of the Road as far as painkillers are concerned, so we’ve now discussed me getting a wheelchair, and I’m now waiting for a OT assessment for that and adjustments to my home, to make life easier. My question is, that I’m overweight, all of my mental health medications cause weight gain, so I think I will need a wider wheelchair, I am also unable to propel it myself, due to problems with my shoulder and arm, but I’ve read that the NHS will only provide a manual wheelchair if your able to walk even a little bit, and if you only need it for outdoor use, I live in a tiny bungalow, and wouldn’t have room for a wheelchair inside, I just have perching stools in the rooms I use and move from seat to seat. So what my options be with regards to getting a powered chair, if I can’t afford to buy one ?

thank you. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there and welcome 

Ot will suggest the most appropriate solutions but wheelchair comes under wheelchair services 

You are right there are very strict rules for power chair through NHS 

Also a power chair will still be nearly as wide as a manual chair 

You can lease chairs from mobility shops or if you get enhanced pip mobility you can get one on motability 

If you don't want the NHS option they should give you a voucher to put towards the cost of purchasing yourself 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @skirton and welcome to the community! You can receive a powered wheelchair via NHS Wheelchair services, as this is how I'm obtaining my new powerchair. Have they spoken to you and a Disabled Facilities Grant? This is a grant that can help towards adapting some areas of you home, for example having a wet room fitted, etc?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • skirton
    skirton Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hello, thanks for the replies, I could have sworn I had already replied to you, but it isn’t showing, but anyway, thank you. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.