Do e-Scooters / PLEVs Help Your Disability? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do e-Scooters / PLEVs Help Your Disability?

Options
NikPlus
NikPlus Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2021 in Transport and travel

PLEVs (Personal Light Electric Vehicles) such as e-scooters, electric unicycles, and electric skateboards seem to be becoming more popular alternatives to traditional mobility scooters. They're more portable (lighter / smaller) and cheaper.

I have a permanent hole in my abdomen and pelvic scar tissue, resulting from several cancer operations back in 2017. I found a new source of freedom, when I purchased my first electric unicycle which is doing a wonderful job in keeping my core muscles in check and improving mental health. Like e-scooters, my electric unicycle also offers a vertical riding position unlike many traditional mobility scooters.

I have since made many new friends also with disabilities, who rely on their PLEVs for increased mobility and improved mental health. PLEVs seem to be helping people with general walking difficulties (including pensioners) and people with conditions such as, cystic fibrosis, spina bifida, congenital diplegia, autism and single / double leg amputees.

A few companies also sell e-scooter adapters, enabling manual wheelchairs to clip onto an e-scooter, making them temporary powered wheel chairs.

Do you own / ride an e-scooter, electric unicycle or electric skateboard that helps your disability?

Tagged:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.