LCWRA QUESTIONS- will I move to ESA element? Should I tell them about letter for surgery? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA QUESTIONS- will I move to ESA element? Should I tell them about letter for surgery?

Options
katie0714
katie0714 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
edited June 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all ??
I recently underwent a telephone assessment and the lady was really nice. She took an in depth account of my medical history ect. 
I did forget to ask a few things but I was hoping one of you lovely people could help. 

(1) if awarded LCWRA will I need to move over to the ESA element of UC or will it stay the same?
(2) if I only receive the LCW element will my previous benefit state impact this - I was on ESA long term until 2018 when I missed a medical and was subsequently moved to UC. 
(3) I received a letter for surgery on my back after the assessment - I never mentioned this to her at the time. Should I wait for the outcome before notifying them?

She being a medical professional encouraged me to apply for PIP (I received 0 points only a few months ago). I’ve since had an MRI, been diagnosed and am awaiting surgery/treatment for this. Can I make another claim so soon after being rejected?

many thanks if you got to the end ?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

If you are on uc now and get awarded lcwra the only difference will be the additional payment in your uc 

If awarded lcw the only change will be work commitments will be reviewed but no additional payment 

Don't worry about not mentioning surgery it hasn't happened yet and you only need to report if it significantly changes your functionality and if you get lcwra there would be no point as it is the highest award 

As for pip again the surgery hasn't happened and you need to have had condition for 3 months and it to last for further 9 months 

You can reapply but has your functionality got worse 

It may be worth waiting till after the surgery to see the impact 

Did you challenge the pip and put in mr at all 

I suggest you get some advice from welfare rights regarding a new claim and maybe some help with the form 
  • katie0714
    Options
    hi and thanks for getting back to me!

my surgery will be to place some sort of separator eternal the bone and never saw there is currently no gap and I’ve had lapses of loss of sensation in my left hand side. 
    I’ve also got a bulged disk and wearing of the bones (I’m only 25). 
    It has progressively gotten worse which is why the option for surgery has been taken (they didn’t advise it in the beginning because of the risk of paralyses) but unfortunately it’s now my only option or live in complete pain. 

I didn’t challenge the PIP decision simply because my report didn’t sound like mine, everything was twisted and turned and I’d have much rather done a face to face. 

I know with the LCW element that they score on an overall basis and not sectionals like pip do but she also advised that if I do receive LCWRA tht the dwp would take that report into consideration and would use it as supporting evidence. 

It’s just all a bit confusing…
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They will use the wca report as evidence bit they are both different benefits with different criteria and getting one doesn't mean you will get the other 

Lcwra looks at your ability to complete any type of work and pip looks at your ability to do daily tasks 

I got pip enhanced for both but was found fit for work even though I was housebound . I went to tribunal and won my case to get lcwra 
  • katie0714
    Options
    Yeah she explained that but also reiterated that the scoring is completely different for both. One is overall and one has basically points needed on every aspect. 

I really do appreciate your advice, I’ll take it all into consideration while making my decision. 
    Thank you so much 
  • katie0714
    Options
    UPDATE ; 

I received a letter on my UC journal which states that they WILL award me LCWRA. 
    Feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders! 

Thank you so much for all of your input and advice, I’m truly grateful x
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Super news @katie0714, thanks for the update.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.