Can anyone shed a light on Severe Disability Premium. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can anyone shed a light on Severe Disability Premium.

Beesmummy798
Beesmummy798 Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
Hi there, I have been on ESA Contribution based (support group) 2017. I moved to UC on 2019 as I moved home and had to change to it. I have applied for Pip but no decision as yet. It was only because a charity benefits advisor had asked me do I get severe disability premium and I'd never heard of it. Not sure if I'm entitled, they said something about I could be on Income related. It's so confusing. Thanks for any reply x

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Sdp is only for people on esa and not uc it is a legacy benefits 

If on esa you need to be on pip or dla care component and also live alone or with someone else who also get a disability benefit 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    You can't get SDP unless you have PIP care (either rate), but its not relevant as you don't get any of the old premiums with UC
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Beesmummy798
    Thank you @janer1967 and @woodbine for your quick replies. I am on UC and ESA. My ESA is deducted from my UC award every month (£493 approx). The advisor said I was on contribution based because of the 25 work years previous to applying. He said if you changed to Income related and got PIP you may get SDP as you live on your own, don't claim any carers element for anyone etc. I'm just so confused by it all ??
  • Beesmummy798
    In short, I'm sure I can't just phone ESA and ask them to switch my contribution ESA to Income related ESA just to get SDP. Or can I? I don't want to prompt an assessment as I've never had an ESA assessment and have been claiming from 2017 when I had to leave work. I had a PIP assessment on 28/6 and that was enough for me x
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry I don't know much about esa to be able to advise
  • Beesmummy798
    @janer1967 thank you. Its confusing but you've helped me anyway x
  • woodbine
    Inc related: you either qualify or you don't it depends in personal circumstances (capital limits) perhaps running it through a benefits checker might help, or a chat with welfare rights or CAB 
    https://benefits-calculator-2.turn2us.org.uk/survey/1/20523cd4-51d0-42e7-aa22-877b8f40965d

• Beesmummy798
    @woodbine thankyou ive just used this calculator there now it's great. I don't supposed you've ever heard of a claimant changing to Income related ESA from Contribution based? Maybe that happens automatically when my ni contributions run out. 
  • woodbine
    your n.i cont. won't "run out" they were used to assess if you got cont based esa 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    In short, I'm sure I can't just phone ESA and ask them to switch my contribution ESA to Income related ESA just to get SDP. Or can I? I don't want to prompt an assessment as I've never had an ESA assessment and have been claiming from 2017 when I had to leave work. I had a PIP assessment on 28/6 and that was enough for me x
    If you had not claimed UC then the ESA could be recalculated to include fr income based entitlement.

However your ESA can no longer be revised to include income based ESA because you have claimed UC. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Beesmummy798
    Thankyou for this @calcotti x
  • Beesmummy798
    @woodbine Because I don't know what way it works, I thought I was on CB ESA relating to my N.I contributions in employment for 25 years. Sorry I just don't understand the difference in Income related and Contribution Based ESA. 
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Sorry only me butting in as ever ?? just wondering what is the actual difference between the contribution based benefits and income based? I've never understood it either? I thought it was paid to people who had paid enough ni contributions and they then use said contributions to pay those people?? Obviously that's wrong lol sorry but always ready to learn something new me ???
  • calcotti
    Entitlement to contribution based ESA (or new style ESA) is based on NI contributions made in the two tax years prior to the benefits year in which the ESA claim is made (with relaxations in some cases). The rules are fully outlined here
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/employment-and-support-allowance-contribution-based
    Contribution based ESA is not means tested and is therefore unaffected by other income (except for some pension Income) or by savings. 

Income based ESA is a means tested benefit which means that entitlement is affected by other income and savings over £6000.

For old ESA claims a claim for ESA was a claim for both income based and contribution based ESA and what they got depended on their circumstances but claimants could get contribution based ESA topped up with income based ESA (because maximum income based ESA entitlement is higher than maximum contribution based entitlement).

Income based ESA has been replaced by UC and once a UC claim is in place it is not possible to receive income based ESA.

So beesmummy was most likely receiving both contribution based and income based ESA. When she claimed UC the income based ESA ended but the contribution based ESA continues.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Thankyou @calcotti I will have to read a few times probably to get it right in my brain but that's the same with most benefit information ? I am not the most intelligent of people so it takes a while at times ?? but thankyou so much for explaining! I do feel being here is helping me gain a lot of knowledge or it will do ??
  • Beesmummy798
    @calcotti thankyou for explaining a very confusing benefit x

• littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    I am certainly not an expert on benefits but have I read somewhere that you can claim contribution based ESA (old style) and income top up and not claim UC or have I seem this in my dreams?
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    I am certainly not an expert on benefits but have I read somewhere that you can claim contribution based ESA (old style) and income top up and not claim UC or have I seem this in my dreams?
    You cannot make a new claim for the old type of ESA. A new ESA claim now is for new style ESA which is a contribution based benefit only, income based ESA having been replaced by UC.

However somebody already getting the old contribution based ESA can be reassessed for entitlement to income based ESA. This might happen if, for example, they live with a partner and have no entitlement to income based ESA due to partner’s income or savings but then separate meaning they become entitled to an income based top up (although in that situation there will probably be other things to consider too).
  • Beesmummy798
    edited July 2021
    @calcotti you have a lot of knowledge thanks for your help. Can I ask a q.. What is the point of me claiming ESA CB? I know that when I was working and getting Working tax credits/Child tax credits and housing benefit I had to move to ESA when I left work. But now I get UC and get the LCWRA element and ESA (CB new style) separate. I get paid every 2 weeks from ESA then this is taken off my UC obviously. Is there any benefit to me even being on ESA? I was wondering if I should just cancel it or is there any complications or reasons I shouldn't x
  • calcotti
    You can cancel the ESA if you wish and your UC will go up so you get the same amount of money overall - but I would not recommend this.

Let’s say for example that you win £20,000 or form a new relationship with somebody with lots of income and/or savings - these changes would end your UC but would not affect your ESA. Claiming a non means tested benefit therefore makes sense to protect yourself against changes of circumstance. If you end the ESA you would not be entitled to claim it again if you have not been working in the last couple of years.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.