I was owed over £700 from PIP. However I think this has been used to pay off debt- is this allowed? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I was owed over £700 from PIP. However I think this has been used to pay off debt- is this allowed?

Options
dezzi111
dezzi111 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I was owed over £700 from pip im on universal credit but just received a letter saying I was owed over £700 in benefits which I presume is pip as I have just been awarded higher on there but letter also states they have took that out of the money which is outstanding of money I owe which I have been paying out of my universal credit thought they can’t touch pip money ?

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @dezzi111

Welcome to the community, how are you? 

It's quite common for them to send a claim to debt management to see if there is any money that needs recovering. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @dezzi111 hi and a warm welcome from me also.
    They can recover debt in anyway possible and do so, look on the bright side at least some/all of your debt has been repaid,
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• loubylou1511
    loubylou1511 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    Hi @dezzi111,

Unfortunately they can and they will, including disability payments.

There are two factors two consider:

When the DWP decide you have been overpaid or owe them a debt etc:

Its because they think the claimant has made a misrepresentation ie you didn’t declare something or you had savings etc.

They other option is that they have made a mistake and you were unaware of this mistake.

Unfortunately, the onus is you you to prove that they have made a mistake.

My advice would be to write to them and ask them for a copy in writing of what it is they/ you are disputing.

Whilst doing so you can ask them to reduce the “debt” repayments as it will cause you severe hardship whilst you find out exactly what’s went on.

I hope this helps. 
  • LeeA380
    LeeA380 Community member Posts: 59 Connected
    Options
    I took out an early payment of UC totally around £400. I am quite happy to pay that off at £17 per month from my planned UC instalments. 

Now that I have been awarded PIP, does that UC pre-payment count as debt then?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.