Really need some expert advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Really need some expert advice

Options
happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 489 Pioneering
Hi. I am really confused and so is my wife.

I receive full PIP, and my wife who normally works part time looks after me. Without her I do not know what I would do and to be honest, her not working due to COVID has been a blessing to me. She does most things for me

My wife is ten years older than me and she will be 65 in four months time. She has COPD and has done for some years now. She aslo has Arthritis in the thumbs. a nurse said she may have arthritis in her knees but this has not been confirm as she does not want to bother the doctor and the nurse has said that it would take a long time to find out due to covid and the backlog. She was in self-isolation due to being vunerable but has not returned back to work due to suffering from stress and axiety due to covid.

Her doctor has put her in contact with a counsillor and now this other organisation has got involved. They have said that she should be claiming PIP, but my wife explained that she did apply for PIP around six years ago and received no points. She also explained to them that she cares for me and she does everything, so she cannot see PIP saying we will award you. This new organisation does not think she should return back to work.

It kills me watching her each day struggle to look after me. She does everything and I feel lazy to be honest. When i do try and do things i end up in a load of pain. I have come back from the surgeon today and told him how bad I feel, and they have said they understand but i cannot risk doing anything as it will make me worse as well as put me in pain for days. My wife really struggles doing things, but she grits and bares it and does things. My daughter also helps.

My wife explained to this organisation that why would PIP award her anything when she is an unofficial carer and she does everything around the house. They have told her that they will fill the form in for her, but she has said that she has seen my form and there is nothing on that form that would be beneficial to her.

They have also said that they want to look at her taking early retirement on health grounds. She does not understand what they mean. As far as we are aware you cannot get your pension any earlier.

Can anyone please offer me advice please so my wife can read it. She does not want to waste time filling in a PIP form when she will not be awarded anything

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Ill health retirement can be taken at any age allowed by the pension provider however it is hard to qualify as it means someone is no longer able to work 

This all is related to private or company pension 

You can't get state pension early 

You can claim pip and care for someone but its all about ability to do the task in the descriptors 

It may be worth referring yourselves for a care needs assessment on gov website as you may be eligible for outside care 

Does your wife claim carers allowance for caring for you she may not be eligible if she is working but worth finding out 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For PIP I suggest you read the following so you can understand the PIP scoring. Very important to read it all including everything under Additional Information.
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's perfectly possible for a couple to both claim PIP, but always remember that PIP is not awarded for the illness/condition but for the care and/or mobility issues that arise from them. It won't do any harm for the "charity" to help with filling in the form.
    Does she have a private or works pension that she could cash in that would cover the sixteen months before she gets state pension?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If she has been earning more than £120/week for the last few years she will be eligible for SSP from her employer if she goes off sick or for new style ESA if she stops work on grounds of ill health supported by a Fit Note.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.