Can I still claim Universal Credit if I was offered to have a work placement (voluntary)? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can I still claim Universal Credit if I was offered to have a work placement (voluntary)?

jaq245 Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi everyone! I hope you are all great!

I have a question, and I'm hoping you will be able to help me out :)

I am on Universal Credit at the moment and I was offered to take a clinical placement (which would help me to register with HCPC and eventually work in my profession for the NHS). My placement will last 3 months. This is my only opportunity to gain some experience in my field and eventually move on from the benefits.

I've read somewhere that you can claim UC while having voluntary job, since this helps to improve your CV.

Please let me know if you have any information.

Thank you so much everyone! Have a lovely day!


  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,290 Disability Gamechanger
    Should be fine but you need to discuss it with your work coach.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 7,436 Scope online community team
    Hello @jaq245

    Welcome to the community, good to see you join us. 

    That sounds like a super opportunity and a brilliant path to where you eventually want to be. As mentioned above this should be fine but it's always best to discuss it with your work coach.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.