HELPT WANT RE HEIGHT OF ANIMAL CAGES — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

HELPT WANT RE HEIGHT OF ANIMAL CAGES

mogsnowy
mogsnowy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Rabbit and Guinea pig cages, I am having trouble cleaning them because they are so short.  That is the part needing to be cleaned is not high enough from the floor.  Does anyone know of who makes cages that are 30 inches off the floor at the base of the living quarters.  [Most seem to be just 12 to 18 inches and it is painful to bend down that low.]

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Sorry I don't know anything about cages 

Would you be able to find someone who could make one for you to your spec rather than buying of shelf 
  • mogsnowy
    mogsnowy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I don't know.  The cage I bought is just so low, looked beautiful in the picture.  I did not realise they are all made like this.  None are taller than 30 inches overall height.  Normal people must have troubles getting down as well.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @mogsnowy :) 

Just to let you know, I've deleted your duplicate post in the welcomes and introductions category.

I'm not sure either. Have you tried visiting a shop in-person to ask if they have any suggestions?

Alternatively, could you or someone you know build an attachment to the bottom of the cage to elevate it from the floor? We had a pet rabbit when I was younger, and I think my dad put the hutch on some legs he made out of wood to lift it up from the floor. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mogsnowy - & welcome to the community. My son used to have his guinea pig cage on top of his dog crate (!), & when I was guinea pig sitting they put the cage on top of an old table I had in my home. I don't know if you could source a 2ndhand table that would work. However, I've also looked online, & depending on the size of the cage perhaps something like this would work: https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/flat-pack-stand-for-indoor-guinea-pig-and-rabbit-cage-(online-only)?size=100cm
  • yudietc
    yudietc Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    This happens to me often too. On the site, a high-rise of one or another object, for example, a wardrobe, seems excellent, but it does not fit. In fact, the cabinet is much lower or higher. Now I no longer make any purchases on the Internet without comparing everything and ensuring the height. As for rabbit cages, you can compare it here before buying them. This will help you choose and buy just what you need and the right height. I do just that now.

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    What a nightmare to try to get the right fitting! 
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.