Permitted Work Form — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Permitted Work Form

S468 Member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi Everyone - I am new to the community and was wondering if someone could help me.

I am in the ESA support group, but am looking to do some flexible work from home. Some months I may only do as little as 2 hours a month, some months nothing at all - this would be dependent on my health each month. 

My question is: I know I have to fill out a permitted work form, but how do you fill the section on your hours and earnings each month if each month it would be entirely different, and therefore won't even have an average because it will be so unpredictable. Has anyone had experience in doing this? Any advice would be much appreciated. 


  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 7,485 Scope online community team
    Hello @S468

    Welcome to the community, glad you have joined us. 

    This is an interesting question, and I'm not sure of the answer. I imagine you would just have to put the figure as that you expect it to be for most months, but just include a note of some sort explaining that some months you may not do any work or earn anything.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,352 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    One of the benefits of filling in paper forms rather than inflexible online forms is that you can write what you want.

    i would suggest you simply write what you can in whatever space is available.

    What is the maximum you envisage doing, your post only refers to 2 hours or nil per month which I would have thought was de minimis.

    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • S468
    S468 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    @Ross_Scope - Thank you for your advice! I was thinking I may have to do this - hopefully if I explain myself on the form it won't cause too much confusion
  • S468
    S468 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    @calcotti - Thank you for your advice! I think you are right I will just need to add the details in the boxes the best I can. 

    The maximum I would probably do would be 5 hours a month. But it could also be lower and on some occasions zero hours. Even though the hours are extremely low I was told I would still have to fill out the permitted work form. Also because it would be freelance work I would need to register as self-employed - which stresses me out because I have no idea how!  
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 9,644 Scope online community team
    Hi @S468! Regarding registering as self-employed, you might find this page on setting up as self-employed on the Scope website helpful. Perhaps you could give it a read and let us know whether you have any questions? There are a few other pages on self-employment too, so be sure to take a look through them :)
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • S468
    S468 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi @Tori_Scope - Thank you so much for this info - I will take some time to read through them and see how I get on. Thank you so much for your help  :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    edited July 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.