Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Housing Help for my little girl!

samanthalouisetwinssamanthalouisetwins Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I am currently trying so hard to get suitable housing for my little girl, Ava, she has quad CP, severe epileptic and is gtube fed. I’ve been challenged by a housing association for 18 months, arguing with me about what we need that’s suitable. We are now at a point where they are forcing me to take a property with smaller adaptations, which isn’t going to be suitable for our family (my twins and I) now, never mind as she grows. My daughters medical team and advocates all agree with me, we’ve had an official report from my daughters OT stating the property as they suggest is unsuitable, but we are being ignored. They now don’t even answer our questions and I’m being sent a letter in the next few days saying I take it as they state or we get nothing. I’m so distraught. Has anyone come across this before? They are saying they meet their housing duty but I’m conscious Ava has rights as she has a disability that are being ignored! People making all the decisions don’t know my daughters :(

any similar experiences? Anyone managed to succeed and and get suitable accommodation without being challenged by public services? 


sam :) 


  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 5,020

    Scope community team

    edited July 16
    Hi @samanthalouisetwins :) Welcome to the community, it's lovely to have you here.

    I don't have an answer to your query right now, but I've passed this onto our Specialist Information Officer for CP, @Richard_Scope, who's looking into it for you. 

    This comment will also 'bump' your post, which might help other members with experience of this to see your post.  
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Richard_ScopeRichard_Scope Posts: 2,838

    Scope community team

    Hi @samanthalouisetwins
    The housing association can't ignore medical or OT reports stating that you need a certain type of property suitable for you and your daughter's needs. Particularly, in terms of the extra space being needed for equipment to help you care for your daughter and provide her with a good quality of life.
    The housing association have a duty of care to you all.
    Specialist Information Officer - Cerebral Palsy

    Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
Sign in or join us to comment.