Can I get an advance as I’ve been made homeless — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can I get an advance as I’ve been made homeless

shanegwarner Member Posts: 7 Listener
I am currently claiming UC and I was made homeless on Friday, which is also when I got my last UC payment, however I have had to use that money to spend the weekend in a hotel. I now have a friend who is willing to let me stay on the sofa from tomorrow, but I am currently out of money and need some to tide me over till next month (for food and to help out, at my friends house)  will it be possible to give UC a call and explain the situation and maybe get an advance? 


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,513 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

    You can give it a try it maybe depending on the reason you become homeless 

    I'm not sure how advance work tbh 

  • MarcKeirle
    MarcKeirle Member Posts: 11 Connected
    If you are still entitled to an advance you can apply directly via your journal,  not sure how long you have to apply for one from claiming UC it could be just for the first month to cover you until you get your first payment ,if there is no option to apply in the advances tab might be worth ringing and asking or if you have been claiming for over 6 months you can message your work coach and apply for a budgeting advance I believe, which is about £300 or so for a single person, tough situation if none of the above can be applied for you can contact your local CAB and get a voucher for the food bank I think they can issue 3 total which should help you a bit 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 3,130 Connected
    edited July 2021
    Universal credit advance is normally paid in the following circumstances:

    How to apply for a Universal Credit advance

    You can apply for a Universal Credit advance:

    • before you get your first payment
    • if you are already being paid Universal Credit and have told us of a change in your circumstances that means you will be paid more Universal Credit but have not yet been paid the increased 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 3,130 Connected
    Budgeting advance information:

    Budgeting Advance

    You might be able to get a Budgeting Advance to help with:

    • emergency household costs such as replacing a broken cooker
    • getting a job or staying in work
    • funeral costs

    You’ll repay it through your regular Universal Credit payments - these will be lower until you pay it back. If you stop getting Universal Credit, you’ll have to repay the money in another way.

    How much you can borrow

    The smallest amount you can borrow is £100. You can get up to:

    • £348 if you’re single
    • £464 if you’re part of a couple
    • £812 if you have children

    What you get depends on whether you have savings of over £1,000 and can pay the loan back.


    To get a Budgeting Advance, all of the following must apply:

    • you’ve been getting Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance or State Pension Credit for 6 months or more, unless you need the money to help you start a new job or stay in work
    • you’ve earned less than £2,600 (£3,600 together for couples) in the past 6 months
    • you’ve paid off any previous Budgeting Advance loans

    How to apply

    Sign into your Universal Credit account and contact your work coach. They can tell you how to apply.

  • rubin16
    rubin16 Member Posts: 238 Pioneering

    I'm sorry to hear you have been made homeless, I can't imagine how stressful and upsetting that is. Have you spoke the council regarding your situation, as they might be able to offer you somewhere or get you put on a list for a property.

    Heres some information regarding a budgeting advance you might be able to get: I would personally phone UC themselves instead of leaving a message in your journal for a faster response as seems a more urgent matter.

    Also depending on the area and which council you are with you can apply for food vouchers, I would speak to your local council asap for advice about housing and whether or not you can get a food voucher.

    Hope this helps.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.