Looking into applying to be a Deputy for my son under Court of Protection. Are there disadvantages? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking into applying to be a Deputy for my son under Court of Protection. Are there disadvantages?

Options
2»

Comments

• SteveE
    SteveE Community member Posts: 88 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing @niknak7278 I'm pleased to hear your experience with Mencap has been so positive. 

How are you getting on @SteveE?
    Thanks for following up! We move at snail's pace, I'm afraid, and have a number of other pressing matters that need our time, one or two of which may help clarify the need to go through the Court of Protection route or not. But I should email Mencap for advice as it shouldn't take long to write and send one. We're not giving up! 

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks for updating us all @SteveE :) I'm sorry to hear that not much progress has been made, but I think it's definitely a positive step in the right direction, emailing Mencap and asking for their advice too. 

If you need any further support or having other questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us. 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • freespirit5914
    freespirit5914 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi my latest experience with the court of protection or as they are called OPG is not great, they are starting to get too involved in trying to run my daughter’s life, where as before I could do whatever was needed for my daughter they are now wanting me to ask permission for things I used to be able to do for the best. I would suggest getting advice from a solicitor to get power of attorney that way you have more control. I would like to know if anyone knows how to come out of the court of protection control. I am consulting solicitors 
  • SteveE
    SteveE Community member Posts: 88 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi my latest experience with the court of protection or as they are called OPG is not great, they are starting to get too involved in trying to run my daughter’s life, where as before I could do whatever was needed for my daughter they are now wanting me to ask permission for things I used to be able to do for the best. I would suggest getting advice from a solicitor to get power of attorney that way you have more control. I would like to know if anyone knows how to come out of the court of protection control. I am consulting solicitors 
    Power of Attorney requires the 'cared-for' to give consent before it is granted. That may be OK for you and would be the best route, in my humble view. Others can't take the PoA route and so are stuck with Court of Protection. We haven't progressed applying for CoP due to poor health and need to avoid (more) stress! Good luck and thanks for the warning above.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.