Discrimination advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discrimination advice

Rachel3508
Rachel3508 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, 
My brother is completely blind and lives alone since his wife died 3yrs ago. He's currently having renovations in his home and is paying a LOT of money for this to an expensive independant kitchen/bathroom company. I've been his eyes during this process and there have been a number of errors,  some major like doors & walls in the wrong place! As expected,  a number of calls to the company have been needed and things were being fixed, albeit behind schedule but they were getting done. 
Then on the weekend things got strange... and worse from there...
The owner of the company sent a number of emails to my brother which included comments like "I've never had a customer as bad as you in all the years I've been in business" and "I wish I hadn't taken on the job" and "are you bipolar?".... i'll reiterate, it was HIS employees who had made errors by not following plans!

But my main point of concern is this....
My brother called me yesterday morning to tell me about the latest problems and the frankly unacceptable comments from the owner. Later in the day he received an email from the project manager & 2nd in command to the owner, in which he discloses that he'd been there earlier in the day and heard him on the phone!
My brother (Charlie) had been in his lounge with internal doors closed for privacy,  but the patio door open. So this guy had arrived at his house,  not knocked on the front door,  but gone round the back of his house,  eavesdropped  on a phone call and then scurried away without saying anything.  
I'm furious about this! He wouldn't have been able to do that to a sighted person, so he's absolutely using Charlie's disability against him! 

So I I don't know what to do about it,  I'm partly wondering if I'm being overly protective and overreacting, because calling the police seems a little excessive,  but is there anywhere else I can report it to???

Thanks
Rachel 

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    That’s not discrimination. 

It seems like there is a lot going on in terms of problems with the company your brother has asked to complete the work making a lot of errors. 

I would speak to Citizens Advice Consumer helpline, I’ve worked with them before and they will explain your next steps. 

In terms of purposely listening into a call, I don’t think there is much you can do, try the police if you so wish to but I don’t think it would be a high priority. 
  • Rachel3508
    I've copied this from Google

Disability discrimination is when you are treated less well or put at a disadvantage for a reason that relates to your disability

So how can standing at someone's patio door, listening to a call and then leaving not be discrimination? He could categorically not have done that to a sighted client?
  • MarkM88
    I’m sorry but I can’t see the relevance. 

Everything you have described, could have happened to anyone who does not have a disability too. So I can’t see how he has been singled out due to a disability. 

You said they went round the back and listened in to a conversation, that could also happen to a person who has their sight, so again how can that be classed as discrimination? 

Have you looked into the CAB service I have suggested? 

Are you going to ring the police if you feel that strongly about it? 

If you truly believe their was discrimination then you are going to need to speak with a solicitor for legal advice. 

In terms of complaining about the treatment and the errors I would suggest doing what the CAB helpline I suggested tells you. 
  • Rachel3508
    Thanks for your comments,  I probably am just over reacting,  which is why I didn't act immediately. 

Charlie is handling the complaint himself and  has already sent several emails. 

He has also commented on social media (in a private post with just friends) that the owner "scares me" so this is why I went into full protective sister mode. 

Thanks for your help
  • MarkM88
    I can understand that. I think any sibling would get protective over another. 

If he gets no where with the complaints I would still speak with CAB consumer helpline as they will help you understand your rights and what you can do. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I understand you'd distress and hope others cinnents have helped you 

All I would add and I may be wrong buf if your brother continues to employ this Company then apart from complaining to the company themselves I don't think you would get anywhere with a complaint to another body 

If you have any issues with them that you feel would warrant police intervention then why are you still allowing them access to your brothers property 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.