Help needed to fund patio build for disabled man. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help needed to fund patio build for disabled man.

Options
reggy71
reggy71 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have a garden customer who would like a small(2×8m) patio but hasn't the funds available. The patio would be the entirety of his garden and I'm enquiring if any one could point us in the right direction of charities or organisations that may be able to assist.
The client is a man in his 30's paralyzed from the waste down post stroke and now permanently wheelchair bound, after a long fight he has finally been granted accessible accommodation (though 60 miles from his original locale). He is a proud young man who is still coming to terms with his disability and is trying to settle in to a new life in a new location, any advice, guidance or tips to help him enjoy his outdoor space would be very gratefully received and appreciated by us both. TIA.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    https://grants-search.turn2us.org.uk/

Don't know if the above will be useful but all I can think of right now.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @reggy71 and thanks for reaching out to our community. Let's hope this patio can be built sooner rather than later :)

In addition to checking available grants, I'd recommend your client check that he is getting all benefits he is entitled to.  He can do this using a Benefits calculator which gives an indicator of anything additional he may be able to claim. 

Whilst, he might also want to explore possible eligibility for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).  Eligibility is determined by local authority's who would assess if the proposed works were necessary and appropriate to meet the disabled person's needs.  This Shelter webpage has extensive guidance about DFG's and advises:
    A disabled facilities grant must be made available if it is required for one or more of the following purposes... facilitating access to and from a garden by a disabled occupant or making access to a garden safe for a disabled occupant.
    I hope that helps.  Please let us know how you get on.  

Just to let you know, I've tweaked the title of your thread and moved it to our Housing and independent living category to help others who may be in a similar position spot it.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • reggy71
    Options
    Thank you very much, I shall look into the DFG's, and inform him about it when i see him next, I am also going to have a pop at getting a national landscaping firm to do the job gratis, they would be able to do it with left over materials at almost no cost and some good press. 
    Thank you for taking the time to respond with some great advice.
    Incidently my client is based in Lincolnshire.
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 538 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi welcome to the community,

Just a thought but you could perhaps look at some form of crowdfunding and ask people for donations. Crowdfunding is great for raising funds for good causes or for people who are in need of it.

Hope this helps.

I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• reggy71
    Options
    That's a great idea, I shall put it to him. Rough estimates suggest it would cost in the region of £1000-1200 so certainly achievable. Thank you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.