Hi, my name is k33! Looking for a head support for for my elderly friend — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is k33! Looking for a head support for for my elderly friend

Options
kirstin33
kirstin33 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi i have a lovely elderly neighbour who is 94 years of age and lives with her son who is 65 with cerebral palsy they are both wheelchair bound daily.  I often go round and help do things as much as possible but i have noticed my elderly friend is falling to sleep alot and her head leans forward so uncomfortably that she can never have a good nap she is in a standard wheelchair, we have tried kneck comforters but she dont like them and to put it nicely she is a little stubborn bless her heart (i love her dearly!). So after searching the internet i cant seem to find anything suitable as we need something that can maybe attach to the arm of the wheelchair for her to put a pillow on and rest her head against as she also leans to the side alot so her head leans to the side also! She does have help from the red cross and O.Ts come ect but we never seem to get anywhere as she has a son that has high demands so she gets pushed aside alot and i just want her to have a comfortable nap for once. Thanks in advance for any advice given ?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

It's lovely of you to help out your neighbours

I'm not aware of anything suitable but I haven't looked to be honest 

I don't know if a mobility shop would be able to advise 

I'm a wheelchair user too and the standard NHS ones are not very comfortable 

Can she transfer to a bed or chair maybe a recliner or rise and tilt chair would be ideal 
  • kirstin33
    kirstin33 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi thanks for reply,  yes she does have the rise and tilt chair which she does sit on when her carers are there but when no one is there she has to be back in her chair as i say she is quite stuborn and will probably try getting out of it herself but she needs help getting up, so i think im just going to ask her son for the numbers of who i can call and get on at them myself about how we can make her more comfortable ?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @kirstin33 Hello there and welcome to our online community, it's lovely to meet you.  It's great that your friend has you to advocate for her needs :)

You mention that she has input from an O.T. - have they done a recent assessment to see if there is any other aids that would help?  Also, is it something that's been discussed with her GP?  I think they would possibly be my starting points.

Besides this, your friend is entitled to a social care needs assessment from her local authority to see if there's any other support or services she would benefit from.

I can imagine and appreciate her stubborn ways, my nan is much the same and we love her dearly too!

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.  Just to mention, I've tweaked the title of your thread to help others spot it easier and moved it to our Disability aids, equipment and technology category.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Maybe see if age UK have any suggestions or as mentioned her ot should be able to help 

I know you said they concentrate on her son 

What about her carers they may have come across this before 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.