Hi, my name is kev09! Company said they will not insure the house for buildings and contents — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is kev09! Company said they will not insure the house for buildings and contents

Options
kev09
kev09 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
lv insurance have just informed my landlord who i share the house with will not insure the property for buildings and contents insurance because i am on benefits and that i am disabled, can they do this? urgent help needed, please

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

It is your landlord that should provide building insurance as the property is their 

You should get content insurance only to protect your possessions

I'm not sure if they can refuse you on that basis but if i was you I would find another provider 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @kev09

Welcome to the community, sorry to hear that you're having difficulty with insurance. 

As mentioned above your landlord should be the one paying buildings insurance for the property if you are renting it from them.

There are many providers of contents insurance and other kinds of insurance aimed at tenants, so if that particular provider won't let you take out a policy with them, it might be a good idea to shop around. You can read further information here about getting insurance as a tenant.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am disabled, I own my home, I insure the property and contents, have never been asked where my income comes from (its benefits) or if i'm disabled.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• kev09
    Options
    HI thanks for the welcome.
    i may have writen it wrong, but my landlord and housemat, was trying to get a quote for the houses buildings and contents insurance - has always done this over the yrs since he became my parttime carer.
    his broker said that they had got him a deal with LV, but LV wanted more details on who lived in the house, he said he did and me his tenant lives downstairs and we share the lounge and kitchen, plus the outside. they still wanted to know more, was he or me on benefit, he said my tenant is and he is disabled.
    the broker came back with the details as follows:- LV will not take anyone who is on benefit or disabled, which i believe is discrimation(sorry i cant spell), and i wanted to see what others think ie scope.
    the broker says that this has been going on for years, but knowone has questioned this policy, but i am now.
    i have been intouch with the CAB who told me to talk to E.A.S.S. and having just got a template letter from them i have been disabled since 1994/95 i will take them on and i hope that scope and disablity rights will help me get this discrimination police remove for ever, i can not work due to my disablities and i therefore get P.I.P's but they being LV insurance block everyone on benefits and therefore disabled as well.
    please can we all spead the word and to gether take on LV. i am more than willing to do it with my landlord but the more we are the stronger we are!!
  • kev09
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I am disabled, I own my home, I insure the property and contents, have never been asked where my income comes from (its benefits) or if i'm disabled.

can i ask who with as our insurance runs out in 6 days time. thanks
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree with @woodbine I have never been asked where my income is from or if I am disabled seems strange to me 

My insurance is with Sainsbirys bank contents only as I'm in rented accommodation 
  • kev09
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hi and welcome to the community 

It is your landlord that should provide building insurance as the property is their 

You should get content insurance only to protect your possessions

I'm not sure if they can refuse you on that basis but if i was you I would find another provider 
    thank you but its was far cheaper, we were both wanting to save money, me on the contents, my lardlord on both, as the house has been cut in half but we share the kitchen and sitting room.

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Options
    As you're a tenant you're not responsible for the building but you certainly should get contents insurance easily enough from many companies including LV.  The fact that you're on benefits should be totally irrelevant.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• kev09
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    I agree with @woodbine I have never been asked where my income is from or if I am disabled seems strange to me 

My insurance is with Sainsbirys bank contents only as I'm in rented accommodation 

hi, thank you, but i have now discovered that LV have been discriminating against all people on any type of benefit and or they are disabled, the insurance broker boss, has told us that this has been coming up time and time again. but knowone before has said that this is discrimination, they are very happy to help fight this awful policy that LV and other insurers are using, therefore any disabled people will believe that this is nation wide, i would have gone without any contence insurance, but having somehow managed to not got covid, i need a something to get my teeth into getting this changed, this is something you would see disablity rights fighting to get one thing stopped in the 25 yrs i have been disabled, they said all shops would be made accessable for all disabled people, that has never happen, lifts on all stations thats not happened, disabled toilets not happened, step free, thats not happened either, all they seem to do it charge us for everything they do, even have to pay to get a blue key when you have to do the other bit find one that open, or you have to wheel or walk though wet floors that could be just about anything. those of us that can have to get governments to make these changes and stop us being 4th class citizens, i know lots who are feed up with this, and then we need to get PIP's changed.
    way should we be walked all over by all this discrimination?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.