Family Foodbank MK — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Family Foodbank MK

Options
Wini1960
Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
Hi my family and I started a foodbank in May of this year and we are totally overwhelmed by the response week in and week out. I retired 8 years ago after working at the ICAEW for 21 years. I love helping people, my husband and children pack the parcels and volunteers drop the parcels at the various homes. As i have mobility issues i just get names and addresses and liaise with the main foodbank, MK Foodbank in Kiln Farm. I find that i do not focus so much on my disabilities but on the task at hand. I still have pain but doing something, rather than doing nothing makes life worthwhile ??

Comments

• Duninn
    Duninn Community member Posts: 184 Pioneering
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @Wini1960 -  you’re somebody’s hero!  ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

That's a wonderful thing you and your family are doing for others in need 

I agree it helps take your mind off your own problems and pain when you are busy and feeling proud you are doing something and helping others 

Keep up the good work 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's a great thing that you are doing @Wini1960 , but such a shame that in 2021 in the midst of a pandemic that there is any need for foodbanks, politician should hang their heads in shame.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine where I live food banks have been used on a weekly basis way before corona virus its three times worse now it is classed as a poor place in the main parts many are living in poverty the pandemic has made things worse and when the uplift is taken off life is going to be alot hard notification has been put on the universal journal that its soon comeing to an end 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Wini1960 It's lovely to see you again on our community and what a brilliant, selfless job you are doing.  I'm sure it makes all the difference to the people you are helping and it sounds like it motivates you too.  Thanks for telling us about it  <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Wini1960
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. It is a shame that foodbanks are necessary but the government alone cannot sort out this mess we all have to do our part great or small.

• woodbine
    Options
    Wini1960 said:
    Thank you so much everyone. It is a shame that foodbanks are necessary but the government alone cannot sort out this mess we all have to do our part great or small.

Actually there is quite a lot the govt. can do, they could increase benefits to a level where people could afford a basic standard of living instead of living in poverty, they could increase the "living" wage to a decent level so people could live off their earnings. The list of things the govt could do if they were minded to is a long list.
    I know that foodbanks are nothing new, but when over a million people rely on them it's become a problem and a national disgrace.
    And of course the problem is about to get worse when they remove the £20 UC uplift, and yet they can afford £200 million for a new "yatch" for Boris to sail around in ?

• Wini1960
    Options
    @woodbine I choose to think and see what i can do. We can all moan about what the government is not doing, but that is not going to bring about  change. We all have a part to play to make "our world" a better place. If I'm not in a good mood or the pain I'm in is too much, watching the news where they talk about the pandemic only makes our fears, anxieties and the like worse. I choose, because it is a choice to focus on what I can do to help my Neighbours in MK instead of focusing on the negative. I believe my life would be far richer and rewarding when i focus on the positives in life.

• woodbine
    Options
    @Wini1960 I think you might have misunderstood what I was trying to say, which in a nutshell was that the one and only blame has been "austerity", and that has been the choice of this govt. to make the poor pay for the mistakes of the rich, it is unfair and unjust.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The government need to live the live people live in poverty without their posh cars and private jets and boats and posh hotels and holidays all comeing out the tax payers money 

I remember one mp liveing on benefits for a week that's nothing they need to try it for a whole year 
  • woodbine
    Options
    @lisathomas50 i'm pretty certain that tax payers don't pay for MP's "holidays".

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.