I'm in the LCWRA group. Will starting full-time education prompt a reassessment? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm in the LCWRA group. Will starting full-time education prompt a reassessment?

Options
cwatson0000
cwatson0000 Community member Posts: 56 Connected
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I have LCWRA and I’m joining education in September it is a full time course. It has been awarded for 6 months from April. Looking over my report it was awarded for the descriptor ‘not being able to cope with any change due to cognitive or mental disorder to the extent of not being able to manage day to day life’ this is for my mental health conditions. How likely is it that they will re- asses me for LCWRA because of the descriptor I was awarded for not being able to cope with change now that I will be joining education? 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Hello @cwatson0000 and well done on deciding to join education in September.  What course are you doing?  How are you feeling about it?

If your mental health conditions have changed significantly so that you now feel confidently able to satisfy that descriptor then it would be advisable to contact DWP which will prompt a re-assessment.  If not, maybe it would be best to see how you get on once you start your course and, after a period, review how well you've been managing?  I'd always recommend speaking with a trained Welfare advisor before informing the DWP of any changes, so bear in mind to contact Advice Local and find an organisation close by so they can go through your situation in more detail before acting.

Good luck and please keep us posted with how you get on :)  Also - just to advise: I've amended your thread title to help others spot it in the future who might have a similar query.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • cwatson0000
    cwatson0000 Community member Posts: 56 Connected
    Options
    I’m doing Business Level 2 Full Time, thank you for asking. I never completed GCSEs due to health problems but I want to do something education wise and thought I’d give it a go. I will be with the support team at the college for my mental health condition. I just don’t particularly want to loose my extra money for LCWRA because money is tight as it is… I still struggle with my mental health and I’m in recovery for addiction. I know I will have to report the change of circumstances at some point, and I’m guessing it will have to be before the course starts? They said that they would re asses me in 6 months anyways but I would rather it didn’t come around early. 

Many thanks.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.