Moving in with my partner — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving in with my partner

Options
KIBBUTZGIRL
KIBBUTZGIRL Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I have been on disability and pip for past 5 years and live in my own housing association 1 bedroom flat. 
I’ve met a lovely lady a year ago, she has a two bedroom housing association house and works as a self employed beautician.  

She has decided to exchange her house to a flat nearer to me and we would like for me to move into the flat with her and live together. ( and me giving up my housing association flat). 

We are not sure how it’s going to affect my disability and other entitlements ( I have my rent covered by housing benefit and some of my council tax too) 
I am worried as I may loose all of my entitlement as she only earns around 15000 per year and she will not be able to look after both of us.  

I will appreciate any advice and help to enlighten us as we really want to live together as a couple ( and marry in the future) but worried in case we won’t be able to cope financially if my disability and PIP stops completely.  

Thank you in advance for any help and advice.  

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.