Won pip appeal, but DWP just tried to call. I'm worried that they might appeal the court's decision — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Won pip appeal, but DWP just tried to call. I'm worried that they might appeal the court's decision

Options
dondon2601
dondon2601 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
edited August 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi on Monday I had a telephone pip appeal and was awarded the standard allowance for both daily living and mobility. Today I received a text from dwp saying they had tried to contact me about my pip claim and I needed to call them back before 4th august. Unfortunately they are now shut for the weekend and I can’t ring them until Monday. I suffer severe anxiety and it’s took me 11 months to win what I believe I’m entitled to. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and what they might want? I’m scared they are going to appeal the courts decision and cause me even more stress. Thanks in advance 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    They may simply be ringing to confirm that your bank details have not changed so that they can pay you. They often do this after a tribunal decision. They will also want to check if you have had any hospital stays as these could affect the amount of arrears you are due.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Try calling tomorrow as they do sometimes open Saturday morning to help clear the backlogs 
  • dondon2601
    Options
    Thank you. I hope so I don’t feel like I could handle any other tribunals. It was awful. If they do appeal a decision do they usually call you? I am having trouble with post in my area so haven’t even had the decision in writing yet 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No they would write to court and ask for statement of reasons and then would have to find an error in law in order to appeal 

The decision was only made on Monday so unlikely you would have had the letter yet 
  • dondon2601
    Options
    I was told my decision letter from the court should get here by Wednesday but like I said we are having problems with the post in my postcode so wasn’t worried about that until I got the text saying dwp wanted to speak to me. I’ll be so anxious all weekend if they aren’t open tomorrow when I try 
  • calcotti
    Options
    I’ll be so anxious all weekend if they aren’t open tomorrow when I try 
    Please note what I have already said about the likely purpose of the call.
    If they were considering appealing to the Upper Tribunal DWP would not be ringing you.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • dondon2601
    Options
    Thank you. Unfortunately can’t switch my anxiety off but does help to have people to speak to
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @dondon2601 - please try not to be anxious, which I'm sure is easier said than done. You have been awarded PIP, & the call will very likely be as calcotti suggested. The DWP can contest your win, but rarely do, so all is well (as Jane says, they would need to find an error in law). Honestly, all will be well. Kindly let us know how you get on, thank you.
  • dondon2601
    Options
    I will do thank you I appreciate the advise 
  • dondon2601
    Options
    One other thing if it’s just about bank info etc why do you think they have only given me a few days to call back? Thanks guys 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    It's normal for them to ask about your bank details, any hospital stays, etc. to work out what you should be paid. Once a decision is made this is to make any arrears due into payment; this is sorted fairly quickly, which is why they'll likely be asking you to contact them in a few days too. Payment may take a little time, but this is the first step. 
  • dondon2601
    Options
    Hi guys. Just a update. They wanted to check my bank info and make sure I hadn’t been in hospital or prison lol. Said I should get paid in about 5 weeks. Thanks for the support xx
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Good news @dondon2601 - thank you for kindly updating us all. :)
  • calcotti
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi guys. Just a update. They wanted to check my bank info and make sure I hadn’t been in hospital or prison lol. 
    As per my first reply.
  • dondon2601
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Hi guys. Just a update. They wanted to check my bank info and make sure I hadn’t been in hospital or prison lol. 
    As per my first reply.
    Yes but always best to check 
  • calcotti
    Options
    calcotti said:
    As per my first reply.
    Yes but always best to check 
    Undoubtedly - not suggesting otherwise. You needed to ring them to give them the necessary information anyway. Thanks for confirming the outcome.
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi all

Just to put the, will DWP appeal to the UT, to bed.

The DWP can indeed, appeal to the UT, the reality is they never do. All decisions made by the UT are published for all to see.

Please follow is link, to view this year’s UT decisions.

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKUT/AAC/2021/

Best wishes
  • dondon2601
    Options
    I don’t understand what you mean? 
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @dondon2601

It means there is no risk to the claimant that the DWP, will not seek an appeal to the UT.

Anyone can follow the link and see what cases have been dealt with.

I have checked back 5 years and not found one case taken by DWP to UT.

It causes unnecessary stress, to suggest the DWP “could” take the case to the UT.

Hope this explains it better.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.