Hi, my name is Ade58! Partner moving in, how will this impact our benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Ade58! Partner moving in, how will this impact our benefits

Options
Ade58
Ade58 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to this site.
I'm looking for advice about my partner moving in with me. I'm on ESA support group and Pip and he is on universal credit. We are both 63.  Would we have to put a joint claim in if he moves in? And how would this effect my support group status?

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Ade58 and welcome to the community, how are you? 

Thanks for posting your question, I have moved your post over to our Universal Credit category and altered the title to give people an idea of what you are asking, hopefully you are able to get some answers :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    If you move in together he will have to report this on his UC journal. He will be given a linking code and you then apply for UC using the linking code which joins your claim to his. The UC will then be calculated on the basis of your joint circumstances.
    Your entitlement to income based ESA will end. If any of your ESA is contribution based it will continue but it will be deducted from the UC payable.
    Your PIP is unaffected.
    If he is caring for you 35 hours/week and your PIP includes Daily Living then he should report this also and will be entitled to the carer element of UC.
    Because you are in ESA Support Group you will get the LCWRA element of UC.
    You can use a benefits calculator to find out what you may be entitled to.
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.